Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition year mini-company website

Options
  • 13-12-2008 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi, I am a transition year student and I am the MD of a mini-company called "Road Safety in Schools". We are producing a road safety pack for primary schools.
    I have just set-up a website http://www.roadsafety.ie, and i would appreciate your opinions and comments on the website and the product on the product page. It is still under constuction but i hope you like it.

also what do you think of the idea of a roadsafety pack? would you like it to be available in your child(s) School?

Thanks, Michael-John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

A few possible improvements that jump out at me:

1. The font used in the body text changes between pages... pick one and stick with it.
    2. Red links on a blue background = ouch.
    3. I'm not a fan of blocks of center-aligned text, I'd left-align it and use an indent instead, if you have to.
    4. Give each page a unique and descriptive page title.
    5. On the top-tips page, the text is flowing right to the edge, which isn't consistant with the margins on the other pages or its own left margin.
    6. The use of whitespace is a bit annoying, so much unnessesary scrolling required... I'd say have another look at how you space things out, see if something a bit tighter would improve things.
    7. The cartoon image on the Home page might look better down in the body text for that page. (with the text wrapping around it) Or left aligned under the (centered) "Welcome to" graphic, with the body text sitting in a column to its right.

Other than that, I think the design is clean and simple, there are always improvements/additions you can make to it, but I think the little tweaks in text/alignment/spacing will make or break it.

Also, I think it'd all look more interesting if each page had pictures like the cartoon on the home page... or if you've got any images of your products to use.

Check out typetester.org, it's pretty good for experimenting with fonts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

^^^^
    What he said and ....

Try to use css for layout, not tables.

Use the keywords and description tags once only on each page.

Too much blank space (called whitespace no matter what the colour is) on all pages pushing the text too far down.

The logo is way too busy, it should be simpler. It has 7(ish) colours, 3 'and a half' fonts and too many 'effects' or elements. Bring that right down. Also the grey 'in' is bad for colourblind people like me. I don't think the using of the S for 2 words works well here.

Make the mail address clickable.

The homepage illustration is nice, put more of them in pages.

Also some spelling and puncutation mistakes and inconsistent use of capital letters.

Probably better to use bold/strong instead of italics.

hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 roadsafety.ie

Thanks tricky D and DonkeyStyle,

I appreciate the feedback and advice. I agree with every point made and I will do my best to address these.

Thank you for taking the time to help.:)

Advertisement