Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-Function Bike Computers...ANYONE???

Options
  • 13-12-2008 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am getting a turbo trainer for Christmas and I would like a decent multi-function computer to go with it. I would like a wireless one with all the basic features (speed, average speed, max. speed, time, distance, total distance etc) but I would also like cadence and heart rate. This way I can monitor my training on the Tacx Satori!!! Is this a good idea or not? Like is it worth the money?

There are so many out there, I have no idea which one to go for! I love the look of those Garmins, but a bit too expensive. The "Polar CS200 CADENCE" http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=O2070 looks good too, a bit more than I was looking to spend. The Sigma computers look good too, but difficult to find one I like. Any good CatEye's out there? Can anyone recommend any reasonable priced one with features similar to what I would like? I might just get a watch style HRM if necessary (like the Sigma PC15 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7977 for €44 on CRC), although I would like an all-in-one!!

Second hand is an option too!!!

Any help would be great, thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you want to use a bike computer with your turbo trainer, you are limited in choice, since most computers have a speed sensor on the front wheel. The only one I know of that uses a rear wheel sensor is the Garmin, which is a bit of overkill considering its main selling point is GPS and that ain't going to be much good on the trainer.

However, measuring speed and distance on a trainer is kind of an academic exercise. The most important metrics are time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

el tonto wrote: »
    If you want to use a bike computer with your turbo trainer, you are limited in choice, since most computers have a speed sensor on the front wheel. The only one I know of that uses a rear wheel sensor is the Garmin, which is a bit of overkill considering its main selling point is GPS and that ain't going to be much good on the trainer.

However, measuring speed and distance on a trainer is kind of an academic exercise. The most important metrics are time and effort.

Hi, thanks for that. Please note that this computer is both for indoor (turbo trainer) and outdoor (training & racing) use. I don't want distance or speed for the trainer, just cadence and heart rate! However, I would be using all the functions when out doors! Taking that into consideration, have you any other recommendations besides the Garmin? Thanks again!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Junior

I'm using a Polar 725x proper job.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've a Polar CS100 and I'm very happy with it. Cadence and heart rate, as well as the usuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The polar ones can be mounted on the rear stays.

However I agree with the speed and distance on a turbo comments.

• Advertisement

Mine definitely doesn't work on the rear. Tried it once to see. Wasn't mentioned in the manual either.

I've a Polar CS100 and I'm very happy with it. Cadence and heart rate, as well as the usuals.

Hi, I was looking at the Polar computers on ProBikeKit and I found the following:
    • Polar CS100: Unit (€78.70) + Cadence Sensor (€24.30) comes to a total of €103
    • Polar CS200 Cadence: Unit incl. cadence sensor comes to a total of €113.50

CS100: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=O2072
    CS200cad: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=O2070

Please note that ProBikeKit charge an extra 15% VAT so that is where my prices came from! By my judgement, the CS200 had few more features for the €10 defference. It also got much better reviews! What do you think of this unit? It there anywhere else I could get it for cheaper?

Another question, what is the difference with the CS100B? Its the cheapest polar out there!

CycleSuperStore.ie
    • CS100B is €67.16 + €25 Cadence : Total €82
    • CS100 is €97.30 + €25 Cadence : Total €122
    • CS200 is €132 in total
    Wiggle & Ribble
    • CS200 Cadence is €100 in total! Is this worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Mine definitely doesn't work on the rear. Tried it once to see. Wasn't mentioned in the manual either.

If you take the sensors apart there is a toggle (at least on the S series) that extends the range of the sensors but eats up more batteries.

tunney wrote: »
    If you take the sensors apart there is a toggle (at least on the S series) that extends the range of the sensors but eats up more batteries.

I learn a new thing every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

link

i'd gor for the 200cad. percentage HR display appeals to me - mental arrithmetic becomes problematic above 170 bpm for me.

niceonetom wrote: »
    link

i'd gor for the 200cad. percentage HR display appeals to me - mental arrithmetic becomes problematic above 170 bpm for me.

When I did the comparison, the CS100 seems to have the precentage heart rate display aswell! (See attatched picture of the comparison!) The only difference I can see is the cadence sensor which can be purchased optionally!

Is there something I am missing that justifies the price difference?

Yes, the CS100 will display it by percent as well.

Yes, the CS100 will display it by percent as well.

So what is the difference??? Just a the name, or has it any extra features besides the included cadence sensor?

According to this review, the only difference is the option to buy the cadence sensor with the CS200. You have to buy it separately with the CS100, it would seem.

Advertisement