Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea for a challenge

Options
  • 12-12-2008 10:53pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just an idea.

How about we start the new year by taking some photo's

Submit your best shot taken on 1/1/2009

Any time in the first 24 hours of the year.

Comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yeah why not, sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Sounds like a good idea.

How about in addition to the challenge, maybe a web page just to commemorate the first of the new year.

It was interesting to reread the best of 2007 thread someone posted earlier to see some of the work from members of the forum and it shows some who aren't posting any longer or didn't engage past the best of 2007. Maybe they'll post a single image into the best of 2008 thread and make a welcome return. Anyway that thread was a reminder of acquaintances that we had in the past some of which aren't about the forum much more (perhaps still lurking).

So maybe a page constructed from the product of the above post by Cabansail would be an interesting memento to stock up over time - Kind of a "Should auld acquaintances be forgotten" theme maybe,

Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

There was a very good irish book on this a good few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

That was the TodayFm book, wasn't it?

I remember it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

CabanSail wrote: »
    Just an idea.

How about we start the new year by taking some photo's

Submit your best shot taken on 1/1/2009

Any time in the first 24 hours of the year.

Comments?

it'll be photos from my of my bedroom ceiling and possibly vomit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

In my case it'll be photographs taken with my mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm likely to be driving from A to B that day. I wonder how feasible it would be to mount my camera somewhere in the car, then randomly click the remote to take a shot from time to time?

I could put it on the back window, but would then probably end up with shots of the heating wires and nothing else. Maybe if I strapped the camera to the back of the passenger seat? Anyone else ever tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The shots in the car could be done by using tripod. Expand two legs and put them behind driver's and passanger's seat. The third one will be pushing against the rear seats to hold the camera in position between front two seats. By doing so, you can take "what you see through the windsrceen" pictures or you could even aim the camera at you (the wider lens the better).
    This is the trick how to do nights shots from car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

ThOnda wrote: »
    The shots in the car could be done by using tripod. Expand two legs and put them behind driver's and passanger's seat. The third one will be pushing against the rear seats to hold the camera in position between front two seats. By doing so, you can take "what you see through the windsrceen" pictures or you could even aim the camera at you (the wider lens the better).
    This is the trick how to do nights shots from car.

What he said. Just make sure you wedge the tripod in nice and tight between the seats, don't want it falling over while you are driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Hmm - how would attaching the camera to the tripod, with the legs folded in, and belting it into the rear middle 3-point seat belt go I wonder? Though that might be a bit waggly and slip sidewards. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable on a motorway with the tripod unsecured (even if wedged) just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

If you had a Gorilla pod or some such, you could wrap it around the bars of the passenger headrest?

On topic, good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Building a 'Home bar' @ the moment & the opening is new years eve,
    That will be my first shot 1/1/2009 .....if l survive!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Definitely up for this!

Count me in now :-)

I hope I won't be too drunk/hung over to forget about this :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I hope I won't be too drunk/hung over to forget about this :P

Drunk Photography is acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭cooligPhoto

it'll be photos from my of my bedroom ceiling and possibly vomit...

Just call it "art" - you might win a prize :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭cooligPhoto

Thoie wrote: »
    I'm likely to be driving from A to B that day. I wonder how feasible it would be to mount my camera somewhere in the car, then randomly click the remote to take a shot from time to time?

I could put it on the back window, but would then probably end up with shots of the heating wires and nothing else. Maybe if I strapped the camera to the back of the passenger seat? Anyone else ever tried this?

You could get a suction mount & put camera on bonnet - cool :cool:

I'd drive nice n slow. Best on the bonnet rather than roof - at least you'll know if it comes "loose".

...at least you'll know if it comes "loose".

Not "if", but "when" :pac:

CabanSail wrote: »
    Drunk Photography is acceptable.

Grand :):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Thoie wrote: »

Did a couple of time-lapse sequences earlier this year. One was in the car. Although I wasn't doing the driving, so didn't have to worry about tying down the tripod in anyway, just held it very tightly and used an intervalometer to control the shutter -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd-jLy69Z34&feature=channel_page

Ok. Just a bump to people as it is the eve of the beginning of the next (eh.... if that makes sense).

The idea - everyone that wants to takes at least one picture on Jan 1 to be submitted as a record of the day - nothing more and nothing less. Just one. What does the day mean to you. Is it family, friends, a place, a thing, an animal?????? Go on.... capture it on the day.

Come on...... are ye up for it?????

(Moving to general thread for a bit more visibility to the general forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I have high doubts anything pictures I'd take after 00:00 tonight would be in any way suitable for the boards audience... :pac:

We'll see though...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a trip to the beach organised with the Horses tomorrow so should have some good shots..

I am listening...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

First Photo of 2009. Our local Temple at midnight.
    Happy New year to you all from Tokyo
    2009.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

How about we all just post the FIRST picture we take rather than any one from the whole day....? I mean I could decide to go and take a drive somewhere fancy and get a cool pic or I could be forced to use my imagination and take one really really good picture wherever I am when the clock turns.... which will prob be on my couch, anyone wanna babysit?

I think the picture you post should be one that you are happy with. If that happens to be your first picture taken then well and good.

The idea is to get as many mementos of the day posted such that it will make a virtual keepsake of a thread.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,079 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That's a great idea. Never submitted a photo before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Balls, I'm not getting my lighting stuff til probably friday :( mhm.... yeah, I'll need to figure out something to shoot ...

Advertisement