Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My car died

Options
  • 12-12-2008 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Having a problem with a 2002 Seat Leon 1.8T.

Got into the car this evening, drove about 5 meters and smoke started coming out of the engine, smelled really bad (like burning plastic/eggs) and it just died. The starter motor turns it over now but it never fires. Oil and water are ok.

Gonna get the garage to tow it tomorrow and have a look but would appreciate any ideas people might have on what went wrong. I always like to have some theories ready for the mechanic, Just in case he tells me I need a new engine :)

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

That smell is the Catalitic converter, your fcuked,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

flushje wrote: »

OR. He could buy a new cat, no need to make out like his car is scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

is the cat converter not at the back of the car?
    Smoke was coming out of the engine bay in the front...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

you're talking shít more like. A damaged cat does not stop the car from starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Smoke after only five meters could hardly be the engine itself unless it literally blew up which is highly unlikely. I would suspect something electrical (i.e a massive short that has fried the battery or alternator ...you should see scorch marks somewhere though)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

i think pheasant is on the right track, sounds electrical, had a similar problem on a sonata before, it smelled of eggs all the time, the alterantor was over charging the battery and fried it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Sounds like something catastrophic anyway, there isn't enough info in your post to make any kind of general diagnosis OP. Was your timing belt replaced on schedule???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

Had something similar happen to my old car. Coil pack went and was told the eggy smell was raw unburnt fuel going into the cat. I didn't have any smoke though....then again I was going about 30km at the time just before Huston station going west so possibly smoke was gone by the time I stopped.

Col.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

when you find out what was wrong will you update us please

timing belt was done at 60,000m. Its now at 75,000m. Just had a full service two weeks ago. Also, 1 coil pack was replaced a month ago. Mechanic had a very quick look on Saturday and thought maybe it was the fuel pump since the engine isin't firing.

Won't know for sure until he opens it up tomorrow and does a full post mortem. Will let ye know...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Go onto the Leon forum on http://www.seatcupra.net/forums might be able to give you a hand i get great advice for my Ibiza!

Thanks, had a look around that forum before, its good. A friend mentioned that it could be turbo failure, sounds expensive :(

Just heard back from the garage there... Apparently one of my coil packs caught fire and burned the ignition lead as well. Not too much damage, it could have been worse. Heres a related thread on the vwvortex forum...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3932108

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

You mean its not the Catalytic converter and you're not "fcuked"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

I agree.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

djeclips wrote: »
    Had something similar happen to my old car. Coil pack went and was told the eggy smell was raw unburnt fuel going into the cat. I didn't have any smoke though....then again I was going about 30km at the time just before Huston station going west so possibly smoke was gone by the time I stopped.

Col.

I've seen this problem a few times on VW Passats. The coil packs are configured in a way that one half of the coil pack provides ignition for cylinders (1) and (2) and the second half of the coil pack provides ignition for cylinders (3) and (4). If one half of the coil pack fails, you are down ignition on at least two cylinders.

So your engine is running and fuel from 2 out of 4 cylinders is passing straight through the engine and into the CAT as unburnt fuel. This unburnt fuel is then burnt in the CAT and can actually cause your car to go on fire if you don't get it sorted.

So, you're looking at a new coil pack and possibly a new CAT...

Advertisement