Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lizards / Snakes - How much?

Options
  • 12-12-2008 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about getting a lizard or a snake. I am just looking for some information as to how much it would cost. I am starting from scratch so Ill need to buy everything. How much for a tank, accessories and anything else I may need.

How much care is involved in looking after a snake or a lizard and is it expensive?

Also would it be possible to keep lizards and snakes in the same tank as I am still undecided about what to get?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

You can't keep snakes and lizards together. Lizs are naturally frightened of snakes and this would terrify the lizard.

I think Reptile Haven do a bearded dragon starter kit for €250 including beardie and tank.

A leopard gecko would cost from around €50-60, they are nocturnal so they don't need a UVB bulb, but they will require a heat mat.

Beardies start from about €75 for a baby.

Baby cornsnakes start at around €70.

Snakes are easy to keep than lizards. Lizards need to be fed daily, a baby cornsnake will feed twice a week, an adult cornsnake will eat once per week. Two days after the eat the cornsnake will do a poo, so corns poop about 1-2 per week depending on their age, lizards poop at least once per day.

A baby cornsnake will require:

*heat mat
    *water bowl
    *hides
    *substrate for the enclosure
    *enclosure - you can either buy a cage specially designed for snakes or you can keep it in a tupperware box with holes punched in the sides to allow air in.

Snakes need an enclosure with a lenght thats at least 2/3 of the animals total lenght. A three foot snake would therefore require an enclosure that's at least two foot long. Lizards require a much larger cage. A lizard cage should be about twice the lenght of the lizard.

With snakes the heat mat should be place under one third of the enclosure with the water bowl being placed on the opposite end. A hide should be placed at either end to allow the animal to decided if it wants a warm hide or a cool hide.
    You can get hides in reptile shops such as Reptile Haven. The best hides are flat pieces of bark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 oranfahey

Definitely go to reptile haven, I got my first bearded dragon there this year after a lot of research also found his starter kits to be competitively priced.
    More care in lizards (more regular feeding) but personally I find beardies very rewarding mine love being handled know who I am run up to the front of viv when I enter the room and some great websites for advice and Ben in the shop really knows his stuff.
    And starter kit was as other poster said around €250.

Advertisement