Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken leg - how?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The tall guy (Hill) was throwing a leg kick and the shorter guy (Hartt) lifted up his leg to block it. Corey's leg hit the shin of Hartt, the hardest part of the leg. Corey's leg snapped. That's about it :pac:

Being so tall and skinny can have an effect on bone density too, or how much pressure the bone can take. Someone else can probably explain that bit better than me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It could be a million things.

1) Freak accident. Force and pressure is a bitch and not something that we entirely understand when it comes to dynamic motion. It could have been a 1 in a million chance based off the force of the kicks leg, the angle of the blocking leg etc etc. Generally speaking it may have been a "something's gotta give situation" and the leg landing where it did meant the inertia of the lower leg and foot just caused it to snap.

2) Bone Density , arguments are occassionally made that taller people who may not have had enough calcium during development will have a weakened bone structure. It tends to get thrown out when faced with the argument that hill would have thrown thousands of leg kicks in training, into a heavy bag, and it should have caught up with here there.

3) Skinny legs. They guy has **** all muscle on him, and very skinny legs. Having no tibialus muscle on the front of your shin to absorb impact may have cost him big time. I reckon the tibialus on the front of my shin is about half an inch thick and runs from my knee cap to my ankle. Then again i can make an argument that genetically, i have a decent muscle make up for that type of thing, my mucles tend to tie in very close to joints, makes for good impact protection but possible flexibility issues.

4) This is the one i hate say, but it's possible. A cyst or tumour in the area would cause a brittle weak spot that may have connected and bang, there is your break.

It could be any, or none, of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Id say Hartt got some shock when he turned and saw why the fight was called.

He was kicked right leg to left thigh just above the back of the knee in that vid yet it was his right leg that went? must have been something earlier in the fight youtube vid i had was deleted .

edit full fight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVX_cO7CQWQ&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

calex71 wrote: »
    He was kicked right leg to left thigh just above the back of the knee in that vid yet it was his right leg that went? must have been something earlier in the fight youtube vid i had was deleted

Watch the replay during the Joe Rogan interview. He was clearly kicked about three inches below the knee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

That looks nasty. There was a wrestler a few years ago who broke his leg, snapping both the tibia and fibula. Couldn't walk fully for about 13months I think.

Is this the first instance of an injury like this in MMA ? Or at least the UFC ?

• Advertisement

First in UFC I think. Few other instances in MMA I think, at least one of which was in a UK show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Wonga

I heard the same thing happened to the Brazillian fighter Pele earlier this year. I would say it is probably a bigger problem in Thai boxing than MMA.

Advertisement