Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immaculate conception?

Options
  • 12-12-2008 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I think one of our cats is pregnant. I'm not exactly certain but shes displaying all the symtoms and its either that or severe trapped wind:D.

The only real issue is that she was neutered about 6 months ago by our local vet before she ever went into heat. I didnt notice her going into heat either but it could have happened while she was on holidays at my parents farm during our honeymoon.

Has anybody ever heard of this happening before? was it a botched opperation or could there be anything more serious causing the rapid swelling of her belly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Get her to the vet asap. There are a few things that could be at issue. Some major some minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Is it a low-slung dangling belly, or a roundedness? If your cat is getting to too much food, she could LOOK pregnant... still, to the vet with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

we had a stray cat come in that looked like it was about 10 minutes from giving birth but it turned out to be very severe constipation. it was evidently not pregnancy by the size of his testicles once he lifted his tail up. :D

we took him in anyway and he got all the right care and we vetted him for all the usual as well as getting his knackers removed and he was fine once he was on a normal diet and returned to his regular size and shape and was a lovely cat with a great coat and a very nice temperament. we were most upset when we were away for a week and someone 2 doors down moved house and toook him with them, we'd grown quite attached. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

My cat once had a phantom pregnancy!

Better get her checked to be safe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

LeahBaby wrote: »
    My cat once had a phantom pregnancy!

Better get her checked to be safe.

Phantom pregnancies are fairly common in some animals, my in-laws dog has one every few years. It's kind of disturbing and I imagine it must be a little confusing and upsetting for the animal.

But certainly do get her checked over by a vet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd get her checked by a vet just to satisfy yourself.

BTW: The Immaculate Conception is not the Conception of Jesus but the belief that Mary herself was conceived in an Immaculate state ie without original sin. (Just for clarity)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

We had an issue with one of our cats. We had only just taken her in, her owner had abandoned her and she had been living rough with her kittens. Her belly was huge and we thought she was pregnant again. Turned out it was only bloat, vet said it often happens when they live rough for a while. Don't know if this is the case with your cat though.

edit: My rabbit used to have phantom pregnancies as well. She's make these lovely little nests, god love her. Think part of the problem was that we had a buck rabbit also (in a separate enclosure). He was an OAP at 7 years old and she wasn't even a year old but it seems age is only a number!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I'd get her checked by a vet just to satisfy yourself.

BTW: The Immaculate Conception is not the Conception of Jesus but the belief that Mary herself was conceived in an Immaculate state ie without original sin. (Just for clarity)

Thanks, I was gonna name the thread "Christmas Miracle" but thought I choke on the irony if it turned out to be something like a tumor (I'm from the other side of the house anyway:D).
    Booked the vets today so I let yous know what happens.
    Thanks for all the replies

Advertisement