Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Woodworking books for Christmas?

Options
  • 12-12-2008 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

I want to treat myself to a good woodwork book for the Christmas, any good suggestions? Misschip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Good question. I would also like to get a good woodworking book for my father. As a hobby he makes units and tables, and restores old wooden furniture, And as he is retiring in January, I would like to get him a good book, as he will probably be spending a lot more time in the garage working with wood. Not some woodwork for beginners type book.
    Is there any book out there that is like a bible for people who work with wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

I suggested these in a previous post for a beginner but they are also excellent for the more experienced. Especially the finishing book by bob Flexner. In general I think, and I include myself in this, that we learn all we can about woodworking, the tools, the wood, the techniques but then when it comes to finishing we slap on some varnish or BLO and call it done. There is also some good stuff in there about restoring and repairing older/antique finshes.

Hand tool essentials
    this is a collection of excellent articles from Fine woodworking magazine
    The essential woodworker, robert wearing
    excellent and now out of print, hand tools and how to use them plus much more
    Measure twice cut once Jim Tolpin
    excellent for avoiding all those initial mistakes.

I would also recommend ;
    Understanding wood finishing by Bob Flexner. After all there is no point in building something beautiful only to have it look like a dog's dinner after the wrong finish is put on.

I also love woodworking magazine. ( http://popularwoodworking.com/wwmhomepage ) It's add free and just focuses on woodworking. The subscription is cheap too. They have a free sample one online so you can see what they are like.

--
    Alan
    Ireland/Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I want to learn how to make a straight staircase as I have never had the opportunity to make one before. A proper one with raisers and routered string.

Are there any simple to follow books on sale that would suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

while looking for something else I found this

http://www.westfiremfg.com/html/wbm.html

--
    Alan
    Ireland/Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

thanks. just ordered one of those books. Might give it a go when the weather turns better. Instead of paying a joinery crew a fortune to build them . Need one for my own attic conversion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement