Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do i wash my stinky dog before i take him to the groomer??

Options
  • 11-12-2008 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey guys, my yorkie is in bad need of wash and cut, so he's off to the a dog groomer tomorrow.
    The thing is he is real stinky, i mean bad:o
    Would it be best to give him a quick wash before he goes??
    He gets this way from throwing himself on anything and everything and yes we do wash him but lately he is has just turned really stinky and he's in real bad need of a hair cut.
    DO WE WASH HIM:confused:
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I wouldn't. Pay the groomer for the full service. They probably see all sorts (and will be relieved he's a yorkie, and not one of those enormous mountain dog breeds).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lucky111

That's what my partner says, but i'm just gonna feel bad for her when she gets sniff of him....... She'll probably be knocked out by it :D
    Another thing..........He's really good getting washed but gets snappy when brushed....... will this be a problem??
    Never taken before, sorry for all the questions;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Have a chat with the groomer first and let him/her know what to expect. They should be fine with it - after all, there's no way in hell every dog that goes to the groomers behaves itself.

What you might get is a hard sell on taking him to the groomers more often so he doesn't get in such a state and doesn't get snappy when brushed.

Thanks for the advice,i'll have chat we her when i drop him over
    Cheers;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They see this all the time, mind you it is best to get a dog to the groomers just before they get really stinky because it's easier all round but dogs like yorkies can be difficult to brush unless you really keep on top of it and their hair holds everything including smells.

Our groomer actually prefers if we don't go so often and just brush out the dogs ourselves esp. the little one with her long hair on her tail. We never get pushed into having the dogs groomed more often or washed more often.
    Instead they suggest if the hair gets too much just bring them in for a quick brush.

However with a Yorkie their hair can get so bad so easily it might be best to visit more often and keep the hair shorter, perhaps not really short but just more manageable for you in between trips.

No point in washing the dog yourself since the pooch is going in soon anyway, if it wasn't for a few days then it would be worth your while giving the dog a quick wash. Just ask the groomer to give the dog a really good wash and condition and to clip the hair to make it more managebale for you but not too short (bit cold for short hair if the dog has a long coat). Also ask what type of comb or brush would they recommend, there's also doggy deoderant sprays that help condition the coat so when the dog is a little smell you can rub this into the coat to freshen it up. Think the one mine has is green fields, it's apple and mint scent and gives their coat a nice shine I use it around their bedding too in between groomer trips.

Don't worry about the smell they've smelt it all before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I wouldn't. Pay the groomer for the full service. They probably see all sorts (and will be relieved he's a yorkie, and not one of those enormous mountain dog breeds).

Agreed. Having worked in grooming myself, I've seen dogs come in all sorts of states, so I doubt it would be a first for your groomer, so nothing to worry about :)
    lucky111 wrote: »
    Another thing..........He's really good getting washed but gets snappy when brushed....... will this be a problem??
    Never taken before, sorry for all the questions;)

Groomers have things like muzzles if they feel the need to use them to avoid being bitten. Your dog will probably calm down if its done regularly. My Uncle's dog is so snappy that the vet gave him valium for the dog to take before getting groomed to calm him down :eek:

My Uncle's dog is so snappy that the vet gave him valium for the dog to take before getting groomed to calm him down :eek:[/quote]

Not sure if i like the idea of giving him valium:(
    I'm sure he''l be grand:confused:
    He's a house dog so he's in bad need of this...... sick of passing out when he's near me:D
    Thanks guys;)

Re the snappy part, it could be the hair being pulled a bit and it's a bit sore if tangled to perhaps having the hair shorter and more regular trips to get a trim will help with that.

Re the snappy part, it could be the hair being pulled a bit and it's a bit sore if tangled to perhaps having the hair shorter and more regular trips to get a trim will help with that.
    Yeah i'd say it's that,his hair is quite matted.
    He's got quite long hair and in the past when i've washed him i've only mannaged to give him a quick brush before he goes mental:eek:
    Cheers;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

lucky111 wrote: »
    Yeah i'd say it's that,his hair is quite matted.
    He's got quite long hair and in the past when i've washed him i've only mannaged to give him a quick brush before he goes mental:eek:
    Cheers;)

Hi lucky!! Im a groomer myself and i'd advise you not to wash him. If a dog is matted, he needs to be completely dematted before you wash him, as soap and water tightens matts, so by washing him, he mightnt smell so bad, but the matts are going to be so much harder to brush out!!

Anyway, smells are part and parcel of being a groomer!!

• Advertisement

Hey guys... didn't wash him b4 he went:)
    He's looks fab.... totally different looking dog:D
    and i never passed out when i picked him up :eek:
    She did a great job, ears cleaned, nails clipped the works all for 25:eek:
    She works form home
    Cheers guys;)

25 is very good, costs me between 30 and 35 to get my little dog groomed, well worth it though they always do a better job. I used to groom my own but the oul back isn't great so it so much easier to take them to the groomers, the car usually whiffs of dog on the way there but smells lovely on the way back and the nice smell hangs around the car a few days lol.

Any piccies of your Yorkies dashing new look?

lol I'll try and get some pics of him up soon
    :D

Advertisement