Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C please

Options
  • 11-12-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

CA59794CAE874EF4B2A7422DB7EAEDCC-240.jpg
    1st attempt at posting image on these boards. Would be interested to hear peoples opinions.
    Thanks
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hi Chris,

I like this a lot. Some of the sky is obviously blown but i think given the colour treatment that you've provided that you get away with it. I like the colour treatment itself. I think i would have liked to see the image vantage point shifted over to the right a little when taking it.

The individual and their reflection and their dog i think work well. I think it makes an interesting scene. Can't see the exif on it and am wondering what aperture you used. The individual is in the blur zone which isn't a particular problem as such but I would like to have seen the chap sharpened somewhat (others will completely disagree with that by the way :) )

I like the perspective as the beach / water / reflections run away from the camera. I think it makes for an interesting picture.

Overall, well done. A nice one which I think is worthy of enlargement and hanging on your wall. Boards photo book 2009 - here you come!

Cheers.

BTW - Feel free when posting to go up to 800px on the longest edge of your image. I'm normally pulling people up on having too large an image but to appreciate your shot you have to view it a little larger - and peoples around here can be mighty lazy with their clicking capacity at times :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Thanks for those comments, really appreciate that!
    Only been doing this since August and only got to grips with photoshop this week! So you've made my day!!!:D

extra info:

F7.1
    and 1/8th of a second exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I agree with ACD on this one, the treatment is excellent and gives the shot a great sense of wonder.

Just a couple of steps to the right though and you would have had an amazing shot, the way it is it feels like the posts are splitting it too much causing the shot to feel a little disjointed.

Still a great image though and well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pippatee

Hiya Crispin ...

I LOVE the toning on this ... you've done well to keep it subdued and not too tanned ...

the composition works well , although a little symmetrical, but as mentioned, a couple of yards to the right and the line of poles would have made a sweet line ...

Phil

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Crispin wrote: »
    Thanks for those comments, really appreciate that!
    Only been doing this since August and only got to grips with photoshop this week! So you've made my day!!!:D

extra info:

F7.1
    and 1/8th of a second exposure.

It's a very nice shot. The colour really suits it also.

Like mentioned above the person walking is a little blurred. The reason for this, as you probably know anyway, is your shutter speed was way too slow for a handheld shot. Ideally you should have used a tripod here to shoot this slow or upped the iso so your shutter speed would have increased. I can't shoot steady below 1/20 and thats even using OS/IS/VR lenses

• Advertisement

Is this the kind of thing you meant by moving to the right a few steps so I had a nicer diagonal from the posts?

Ballyman wrote: »
    It's a very nice shot. The colour really suits it also.

Like mentioned above the person walking is a little blurred. The reason for this, as you probably know anyway, is your shutter speed was way too slow for a handheld shot. Ideally you should have used a tripod here to shoot this slow or upped the iso so your shutter speed would have increased. I can't shoot steady below 1/20 and thats even using OS/IS/VR lenses

Thanks for the Comments

I took it about 6pm last week, so after the sun had gone down. You're right, I probably would/should have used a tripod if I had one (I'm saving up :)) but I also wanted to keep the outline of the 2 figures without them being total "blurs". I had the ISO up at 800, my camera struggles at anything above 400 so I was pushing it doing that. I had vibration reduction turned on. but I felt I was lucky to get anything sharp at 1/8th of a second.

I will definitely be going back to re-shoot this scene armed with a tripod and everyones comments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

A second crackin picture tbh - even with the composition really just centered which i'd normally be suggesting for people to try shift the composition off center. The vertical posts make it interesting again and aesthetically pleasing to look at.

Back to the first one, I don't think its quite far enough to the right but also your direction of shooting has obviously changed so its a little hard to judge. I think it's just a short distance to the right that people appear to be picking up on with same or similar angle/direction. It might even just have been a rotation of your body to the right which is what is being picked up on.

Like the second one too. A little bit of processing and it will do very nice.

Again, great stuff.

Advertisement