Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiron 6400 - Painfully Slow/Loud Fan Combo

Options
  • 11-12-2008 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've been trying to resolve this issue for a while now. When I turn on my Dell Inspiron 6400 (Intel® Core™ Duo T2050 1.60GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB), 9 times out of 10 the fan starts up within 1-2 seconds, and it will stay on. It'll take about 5 minutes to boot into XP, and everything just crawls... Firefox will take almost a full minute to load, etc, rendering the laptop almost unusable (how spoiled we are!).

Sometimes I'll turn the laptop on and everything will be fine, no fan noise and no unbareable slowdown. But lately it seems that I have to startup/shutdown 6-7 times to get it to load normally.

I tried doing a clean format once before, didn't fix anything.

Anyway, I was looking for some answers when I came across this thread on here. I was glad to see that someone else was having the same problem. The thread just kind of dropped off though, and no one ever revealed if they fixed the problem. Someone else suggested a BIOS update, and I'd be willing to try that - Can someone point me in the right direction? I'd hate to ruin my laptop in the process.

Also, any other advice/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I take it you're running xp? And you've tried a format and reinstall of windows correct? Try installing the latest bios update from here Dell bios update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jigjig

Wow, I think this might have actually fixed the problem. I'll give it a few days, since sometimes my laptop actually does perform correctly, but we'll see. Thanks either way, I'll let you know if it stands the test of time!

Advertisement