Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with 12 of your photos... before the end of the year

Options
  • 11-12-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

photocalendar.jpg

Surely it's nicer, cheaper, and more fun to put one (or more) of these together in an evening with your printer, photoshop and word than to order a boring one from an online printing company?

I'm halfway through a slightly more ambitious version (not all printed in one go so cutting and sticking is required kind of ambitious) so if it's a success I'll hopefully have pictures of it to show in a couple days.

P.S. click the pic for more hanging inspiration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Interesting and look forward to seeing how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hmm. I have ideas from this for something for me as opposed to something for the world at large.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Thanks, I grabbed the PSD template files. Looks simple enough. Just need to get some nice textured card stock and away I go (until I get stuck trying to choose photos, that bit always takes a million times longer than it should!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Lol I did one for my dad last year, with every month including someone special from that month be it a bday or anniversary.

I think I may get it printed professionally this year as a proper gift though, last year it was stapled:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Elven, tying it all together with a bit of ribbon would be nice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I had been thinking of some kind of wire hook, and just punching a hole in the top to feed it through. But I may try the ribbon option, since it'll be easier to post. If i was going to be really swanky I'd have a printing company do one of those nice wire binding things at the top... ;)

The main problem I find with the commercially printed ones is that they all use landscape orientated images, and i have a severe lack of these. That's why I decided to go with square, since most of my shots can be cropped that way even if they aren't already. It made it so much easier to choose 12 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

elven wrote: »
    .... If i was going to be really swanky I'd have a printing company do one of those nice wire binding things at the top... ;)

If you look around, a lot of companies will have those binders (albeit the plastic one) in the office. Try the marketing or sales dept if you can't find one?! I'm sure the nice wire binding ring from a crppy work calendar could be reused on a nice personal calendar?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

elven wrote: »
    The main problem I find with the commercially printed ones is that they all use landscape orientated images, and i have a severe lack of these.

Photobox.ie's large calendar is only bound in portrait orientation, so single images have to be portrait or square, although there is an option to have two landscape images one on top of another! It killed me having to find portrait-oriented images, so I ended up taking landscape images, adding black bars top and bottom and choosing the "square image" option for the calendar... so all the landscape images are smaller than they could be but hey...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

davenewt wrote: »
    Photobox.ie's large calendar is only bound in portrait orientation, so single images have to be portrait or square, although there is an option to have two landscape images one on top of another! It killed me having to find portrait-oriented images, so I ended up taking landscape images, adding black bars top and bottom and choosing the "square image" option for the calendar... so all the landscape images are smaller than they could be but hey...

Those A3 calendars are very good quality and even with 2 landscape images (matched well) look very good, I was very happy with mine last year. The biggest problem with them for my purposes is that they are too expensive to give to all my family and friends, but not really good enough to be a proper present (compared to a framed print).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I actually had my calendar (wasn't just me involved though) by Reads in Sandyford. I have to say that although I'd have gone for one of the online services in the past, the creative freedom we got from having a blank page to print on, so as to speak, was amazing and I will probably do that again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

and finally... done the printing, cutting and sticking...

3113417293_85f457352a.jpg

3114249706_d3ab913b46.jpg

3113417867_bb42c8e0f6.jpg

Had to make a hook to hang all the pages on because they are card, and the photos are mounted using foam dots which added a good bit of thickness.

I'm now about to start working on a smaller version... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

*bump*, eh... cough.... eh... well... sorry mods in advance, but this might be a timely reminder to people - if looking for something to occupy your mind/body/soul for tomorrow (sunday) afternoon, in advance of 2010 getting under way in earnest on Monday then why not have a go at this. Looked like fun. I didn't do it last year but looks like something I need as my normal sources of calendars (that I don't have to pay for) appears to be in short supply this year.

Anyone up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Love this idea, I did a calander with photobox and also had the same problem of getting pictures that fitted.

Advertisement