Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Photographer

Options
  • 11-12-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

I have been searching for a wedding photographer for a few months now and it seems to be split into 2 or 3 area's, can anyone help me find a photographer who will do our wedding but not charge the earth, but still knows what they are doing.

I do not want an album, but i do want every photo which is taken, i want photos from the start of the day to the cake being cut before the meal.

If anyone can help i will really be happy, so far we are being quoted anywhere from €500 - €5,000, Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Isar

Depending on how long it takes, and how many photos you want. the price is also including all the retouching the photos will need. Were is the wedding? I am based in gorey Co.Wexford... Pm me for more information.

EDITED: The original and full post has been PM'd to the OP - [AnCatDubh]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

There'll be a few folks here interested in helping you out I reckon, but they will need to know where and when.

As for the cost and terms that's really up to you and the photog to negotiate, be sure to ask for references and to see some examples of his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

[Point of Moderation when Replying to this Post] Can any commercial details / offers be kept in a PM to the OP please. The forum isn't a place for posting financial offers and deals. Read the charter and recent 'buyin or sellin' post. I'd hate to see a bidding war started in a public thread.

To the OP - To assist people who may be interested, you've had pretty much the gambit of what would be considered fairly normal i.e. anything between 500 and 5000 euro depending on what you want. The ones that you had for 500 euro's for example - what did you find wrong with these - same for the 5000 euro ones. Budget in this case i'm guessing but thats just judging the price to my own standards where i'd in no way pay that much for a wedding but that may be me. I'm sure the photographer who charged 5000 euros would have a package of extras and options to back up the price.

Where is the wedding? Dublin as your profile suggests perhaps? Also you need to give an indication of date to see if people will be available.

There are pleanty of people around here that are skilled at that sort of thing so I hope you get lots of replies to choose from.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

Hello sorry if i posted this incorrectly, i did forget to leave the important information sorry again.

it is in August 2nd 2009, and in Co Kildare, please pm me as we want to try to secure this before Xmas if we can.

Thank you again in advance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

For the benefit of both parties in any transaction, just make sure that there is the correct insurance covers in place. It doesn't become an issue until something goes wrong. It's also advised to have a contract in place so both parties know what is expected.

I know this may sound like telling people how to suck eggs.

• Advertisement

No its great, as the few photographers i have spoken to have asked for a deposit and on one occasion a grand non refundable deposit and when i asked what would happen if he was unable to turn up for some reason the reply i got back was "tough"

i was shocked and of course then worried... i am not looking for albums and all fancy stuff as there is no church it is all happening in the one venue and i jsut want someone to trust this job to.

Thanks again
    please PM me with any other information that cannot be posted here

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I don't do weddings.

However, I think anything less than €500, if thats what your aiming for, is going to be very difficult to get.

There is an economic cost of doing it, aside from profit, and for a full day morning to evening and all the photos provided, I would say thats a loss maker for a photographer.

I think the OP may not be specifically looking for something less than €500 but has had a couple of "not so satisifying" interactions with other photographers (with options of €500 - €5000).

As a general note, if forum users have interest, you should either seek further details here on the thread or PM details of your costings/packages to fi

This user is ready to stike a deal with someone so don't rest on your laurels folks :)

Good point on insurance mentioned above.

Thank you, yes i am not looking for under €500, i am looking for someone i can trust who can do the job, and give me hopefully what i want without costing me an arm and a leg.

i feel my wedding is better then a lot of others, as there is only 2 venues, possibley only one venue as the wedding and reception are in the same place. we are not looking for prints... we are not looking for the photographer to take over the wedding and over shaddow everything, just someone who will blend in and most importantly turn up!!!!

I want all the photos so i can descide if i want to keep them or trash them a photorapher does not know who they are snapping and so it is easy for them to dismiss a photo as bad if the lighting is bad, but it could be a special photo of someone special and capture a cool moment and with all these editing tools availaible i dont want to loose a single photo, but i may be in the clouds with this idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Maybe I'll change my mind on doing weddings then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Good photographer = good money, generally.

To take on something like that, 500 would last me the group shots and the reception/cutting of the cake, minimum...

Getting someone good, trustworthy and that can give you what you want costs, unfortunately, that's the way it is. If you feel your wedding is better than most others, then spend the money on getting the photographer right too - You (hopefully) won't be going through it again! :)

Getting every photo from a wedding is a bit much too - When I'm shooting, I'll take at least three to five photos of each scene/group/whatever - Just to make sure I don't miss that smile, etc etc. If I were to give over all photos I took, and my second shooter, it'd be looking at about 1300 photos minimum - I also would never hand over unprocessed images (Digital files need to have work done on them, whether it's the tiniest adjustment to dropping someone elses face in because they were blinking in the last photo,it's as simple as that), and neither would I sit down for what would probably be the bones of a week to process 1300 images to hand over, never mind the fact I'd probably be getting you to buy an external harddrive so I could give you all the photos!

EDIT: Aha, oops, thought you meant you wanted under €500 too! :o

You're going to be looking around the €2,000 mark for a job like this tbh. I still wouldn't ask for all the images - Any photographer worth his salt will give you what you want without having to hand over 1300 images!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

fi wrote: »
    I want all the photos so i can decide if i want to keep them or trash them a photographer does not know who they are snapping and so it is easy for them to dismiss a photo as bad if the lighting is bad, but it could be a special photo of someone special
    Very well made point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I think Fajitas has it pretty much spot on here.

I reckon 100-150 pictures on disc is as good as your going to get from any photographer.

I recently done a couple of jobs like this for friends and gave them a discount rate of £500 Sterling (At the time it would have been about 800 or so Euros).
    If i was doing it for someone i didnt know, id certainly be looking at 800-1200 quid.All depending on different factors.

Very well made point.

It is and it isnt.

WHat happens if Fi picks a photo which she thinks is lovely to hang on her wall, after she has edited it herself.

What happens if Fi's freind who is being married in a years time says "Fi, I really dont like that photo, the colours are really bland and the light is all wrong, who took your photos?"

Photographers have every right to protect their work, and while people paying for them also have the right to do as they wish with them, you have to find a happy medium rather than just handing over 1000+ unedited shots.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Good photographer = good money, generally.

Generally, although I must admit that I've seen plenty that would charge lots and the end product would be poor.

I can totally understand where Fi is coming from, also searching for wedding photographer.

I'd have to agree with Fajitas! about handing over "all photos". But, in saying that, the couple should be able to pick those they want.

Many people (non-photographers) don't seem to understand just how much in involved in the work at a wedding. They are used to their own camera (P&S) where the images are all jpg and many times come out clear and well exposed.

Of course, we photographers know that many shoot in raw and images take some processing - even very basic processing can take time.

For me, €500-€1,000 would be the bottom price range to look. A basic shoot and hand over, minimal processing. This would also be based on the experience of the photographer and just what is wanted.

Some people want stunning images, high quality, loads of images but low cost. I think this is unrealistic, and I don't think this is what Fi is asking for.

I must admit, I know Fi, and advised her to post here to find someone (yes, I turned down the job). There are many good/great photographers in here, and many who would do a very good job.

The most important thing - to be comfortable with the photographer and get a proper agreement. I'm sure that there's a match to be made there. :D

Eirebear I see your point , I guess I read it wrong and assumed Fi was referring to the ones he wasn't using he could show her and then if there was a few out of that he could salvage they could agree to use it if they came out ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

To me, Fi sounds like a reasonable person who hasn't had a good experience so far. She seems to know what she doesn't want & that is no Bells & Whistles.

My feeling is that she should talk to a few photographers from here & see who she feels comfortable with & can trust. Someone who will do the job in the subtle manner she has requested. Once that relationship is established, then they should discuss how the images will be handled to suit both parties. I don't think it's realistic to expect all the files in an unprocessed state. Maybe there could be an arrangement made to review the shoot & so she can then look for those candid shots that may be important. This will allow the photographer to then present those shots in the best way they could be.

Fi ... You are looking for someone you can trust, when you find them then trust them to do their job well.

Eirebear wrote: »

I recently done a couple of jobs like this for friends and gave them a discount rate of £500 Sterling (At the time it would have been about 800 or so Euros).
    With Sterling plummeting the last few days that would've being a super sexy discount if same amounts were used!

Eirebear I see your point , I guess I read it wrong and assumed Fi was referring to the ones he wasn't using he could show her and then if there was a few out of that he could salvage they could agree to use it if they came out ok.

Yeah, thats spot on AR, there should be no problem with the couple seeing the shots before the photographer bins them if they wish.
    Unfortunately, we all know what photographers can be like! :D
    Then again, we also know what customers can be like too! :p

Fi- Apologies for getting sidetracked with such things, i think what i was basically trying to say was that you would be best dropping your request for ALL the photos, but at the same time asking the photographer for low-res proofs of everything he takes.

Anyway, good luck with your hunt, and im sure you will find someone who is right for the job on this forum.

With Sterling plummeting the last few days that would've being a super sexy discount if same amounts were used!

Aye exactly! not long before its on a par with the euro the way things are going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

It would be a tough choice and I have seen cheap one that are crap and expensive ones that are also crap, at the end of the day if you get on well with your photographer then I think that will shine through in the pictures and touch wood all the Brides I have met have been the perfect Ladies :)

From some quotes and chats I have had with couples from my point of view they want somebody to spend time on their project and to give them some say in the design element (eg slideshows/albums/picture layout and cropping) and I am very happy to provide this time and have a product at the end that is as personal to the Bride and Groom as something they have produced themselves. Sorry if that rambles on a bit :)

Thank you all so far you have given me loads to consider. I think i understand photographers a bit better now and the files etc, i would have no problem with low res images i am just afraid something would be binned that would mean something to us.

Paul has been great with advice and as he said he pointed me in this direction. It was a great move and i am thrilled with the help i have got here, thank you all so much.

I think when we find a photographer I will be taking their direction after all they know what they are doing!! I just want to capture every special moment of this momentous day.

Thank you all again for all the input so far. :)

The Low Res shots are only for proofs Fi, that way you can pick and chose the ones you want your photographer to give you post edit.

If your planning on printing them yourself, you would then need a higher resolution file.

As said before, you need to find someone you are comfortable with, after all its one of the biggest days of your life and you need to feel relaxed around the photographer.

yes i think asking for all the images will be unreasonable... we will need to trust the photographer and be guided by them

To add to the discourse - I think there is a number of emergent issues for both fi and the photographer;
    • what images to take
    • what is the expectation of the images being handed over
    • what quality is expected on all images that get handed over
    • what processing is expected on the images
    • what is permissible to do with the images when handed over and possible acknowledgement issues thereafter
    • is there an expectation of a backup photographer or second shooter should the selected photographer be knocked down by a bus :eek: (hopefully not)
    I think all of the advice/issues raised in the previous posts is really helpful to the OP and should also benefit whomever fi decides to use the services of.

In terms of usage thereafter, also be clear with your photographer in terms of what you would like to do with the images. I'm aware of a situation (and the photographer will probably read this later) where the photographers work was used to post to a web site for the bride and groom - that may be reasonable but the photographer wasn't credited and not only that, another photographer who happened to be a guest at the same wedding was credited with all images (not only the ones that they took). Anyhow, again its worthwhile if you want to show off the images to family and friends by posting them to your website, that you are clear about where the photographer may eventually find their work.

I would recommend that when you trash out a deal that you would specifically address the expectations of the client and the photographer through the means of a contract. I've seen standard ones available on the web which can be customised as needed. It is better as a simple document than anything convoluted. It's great when clarity is achieved well in advance of the event. There's peace of mind for everyone at that stage.

this is certainly a lot more complicated the i had imagined.. even as the day has gone on!!!!!

I have my own web site i will be posting images on
    I will also be making my own photo album at some stage.

I certainly woudlnt give credit to someone else on these. how insulting is that. i can imagine the photographer on that occasion was annoyed. i do not blame them.

I think once people know the rules there will be no problems. so this must all be trashed out when drawing up the contract.

Advertisement