Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Nikon 50mm f1.4 AF-S G available anywhere?

Options
  • 11-12-2008 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

I'd like to pick one of these up before chrimbo but haven't seen them for sale anywhere yet ... anyone seen them for sale online or know if shops in town are taking pre-orders for them? Cheers! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Would you actually use it though at 1.4?

I have a 1.8 and think it's brilliant value, cheap as chips relatively speaking, but I find rarely find myself at anything wider than f/2.2, you're getting awful narrow after that. Can you justify that tripling (or more?) in price over the 1.8 for that minimal extra low-light capability? Just asking ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I know it seems close but f1.4 is actually 2/3 of a stop more than than f1.8 ( f1.2 being a full stop more)

From what I have read the f1.8 does fine for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I bought a 1.8 on adverts, as far as I knew it was auto focus but it isnt. It is an older model but I have gotten f0 on it as the f isnt set by the camera it is set by a ring.

Did you try conns, I thought I had seen a 1.4 on there when I was looking.

If the one I have is any interest to you you can have a look. I only paid 85

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Hi smelltheglove, I have a Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF-D already, but cheers... sorry to hear you got one that doesn't AF - did the seller on adverts not describe it properly? Sounds like you got short-changed there.

I shoot at f1.8 a fair amount i suppose, I am FF now on a D700 and I miss my old favourite lens, the Sigma 30mm f1.4 on a DX body. Sometimes you want that shallow DoF - I don't need it for spped as the D700 can take usable pics up to about 3200 ISO. I'd love to spring for the 85mm f1.4 monster, but the focal length there wouldn't make it much use for stuff outside of portraiture I think - I really want this for street photography.

So I was gonna go for the 50mm f1.4 and wanted to get the new one as it is apparantly "brutally sharp" (in a good way!) and was slightly better bokeh than the old one as the aperture blades are supposedly more rounded - and it's AF-S to boot.

I found one store that had one in yesterday but they sold it, but I am down for the next one they get in - but if anyone sees one then let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It is an older model but I have gotten f0 on it as the f isnt set by the camera it is set by a ring.

aaargh
    DivideByZeroException caused by: "I have gotten f0 on it"

• Advertisement

aaargh
    DivideByZeroException caused by: "I have gotten f0 on it"

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Weren't there some murmurings that the Sigma 50mm f1.4 with its massive front element might still be sharper than the Nikon AFS version (at f1.4)? Might want to do a bit of research and see what you need to shoot it at...

Hiya Thirdfox, nope I hadn't heard that. If the Sigma was good I might be persuaded - I have a few Sigma lenses and like them. Where did you read that, got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

well it says 0 so i'm guessing its right, and pic is actually on the second last page of random pics, lights in grafton street.

Yeah I reckon I got short changed.

In my search for new lenses I have come across a second hand lens you are looking for and I am told it is almost new boxed and will go for 200 if you want the number pm me. I had enquired through buy and sell but i have decided to get a new 1.8 instead

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Arciphel wrote: »
    I'd love to spring for the 85mm f1.4 monster, but the focal length there wouldn't make it much use for stuff outside of portraiture I think - I really want this for street photography.

wouldn't the sensor crop on dx vs ff make the 85 mm pretty much the same as the focal on the 50mm attached in dx no?

• Advertisement

Yes it sure would - but I want something on FX that is about the same as 30mm on DX, hence why I am going for the 50mm. Sorry, I know it's complicated!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Yes it sure would - but I want something on FX that is about the same as 30mm on DX, hence why I am going for the 50mm. Sorry, I know it's complicated!

ahhhh i see... humm thats not gonna be easy and certainly not cheap... you want sub 2.8 ap yeah?

Yessir, I need f1.4 ...

I found a few reviews online of that Sigma 50mm f1.4 - very interesting. seems this might be the one to go for if you want bright corners on FX and sharp shots @ f1.4.

Glad you found it yourself - I couldn't remember where I had read it. But the size difference has to translate into some sort of an image quality difference too ;)

Maybe Thirdfox maybe - it's one area of lens design that still kind of baffles me, the whole idea of what is "good" and "bad" bokeh.

Reading around, people still talk about the old Nikon 105mm f2 lens which apparantly has the nicest bokeh Nikon has ever managed - I am sure there is a Canon equivalent too.

If i won the lotto I'd splash out on a NOCT 58mm f1.2 (and then probably be afraid to use it for fear of damaging it). although I must say Canon shooters are spoiled, they can have an f1.2 85mm lens and an f1 50m if they have wallets deep enough.

Well there exists a Nikkor 35mm f0.9 lens too - used for videography I believe.

wow, i didn't know that ... is this it? http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroom/redbook-e/repro/tv.html

I love this sentence from the webpage - "If you use this lens to the Nikon camera, you can get the digital fantasy from the faint light of Neptune."

I wonder how much these go for on e-bay ....

I doubt those things end up on e-bay ;)

Like the custom made Canon 1200mm f5.6 - maybe they'll make you one if you ask nicely? Or ask the US military/AP Photographers for a loan of theirs...

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I was in Conns Cameras today (bought a Nikon 50mm 1.8!!:D) and they said they would have the f/1.4 next week, the Sigma lens is huge in comparison and quite dearer. Hope this helps

Cheers Kbeg, enjoy your nifty fifity! ;-)

• Advertisement

Cheers Kbeg, enjoy your nifty fifity! ;-)

Don't worry, I am!!:D

Right, I put down a deposit today and should have it by end of newt week if Nikon get their asses in gear - apparently they have become renowned for their unorganised deliveries of late ;-( so once I get it I am gonna do a shoot-out vs. the 50mm f1.8 AF-D before I sell it on. :D

Still no sign of this lens arriving in :o there's gonna be tears on christmas morning!!! Anyone seen any available in town?

ok, i finally got the call yesterday and picked it up this morning - been out shooting with it most of the day on the d700. first impressions are that it's a super lens, very happy with it. there may be some floating around but think they are all pre-orders. i'll post some pics later.

p.s. the bokeh is pretty nice too...

Right, here's a few shots I have taken with this lens in the last few days, if people are interested there's a flickr set here .

I am very happy with this lens, it's a beaut! ;) I'd 100% recommended it to anyone looking to upgrade from the 50mm f1.8.

3151257011_e1fa4ff1da.jpg?v=0

3151255257_9835f140a0.jpg?v=0

3152087230_37ea6dd54a.jpg?v=0

3151257357_d346122c89.jpg?v=0

Right, here's a few shots I have taken with this lens in the last few days, if people are interested there's a flickr set here .

Very nice, I hope you added that vignetting in post though ??
    I got the old 1.4 afd for chrispies from the girlfriend (on the basis that I'll be able to take better pictures of the baby. ha !). Still waiting to develop the films I shot using it. I got the old one because I have a bunch of olf nikon film cameras that don't like G lenses ...

Looking good:D. Might have a look at that lens myself!

Hi Daire, yep all that vignetting is added in PP. There is some slight corner fall-off on the lens at f1.4, but it's gone by about f2.2. I hear the AF-D version is great as well, I mainly wanted the AF-S and the instant focus over-ride.

Kbeg3, it's a super lens. Now I have to go on adverts and sell my trusty 50mm f1.8.... :)

If i won the lotto I'd splash out on a NOCT 58mm f1.2 (and then probably be afraid to use it for fear of damaging it). although I must say Canon shooters are spoiled, they can have an f1.2 85mm lens and an f1 50m if they have wallets deep enough.

Heh. I just ended up leafing through that website above, that you link to.
    Check out the 180mm f1.5 (probably for some LF camera) and the 85mm f1.0 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Any of these lenses that go to super low apertures have nearly a special look to the shots coming from them at f1.4 or f1.2

Advertisement