Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Parrot

Options
  • 11-12-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am really interested in buying a Parrot. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. It would be a good home for the bird. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭AngelicRaindrop

Think about this very carefully. how much are you willing to spend, a cage for a medium size parrot costs upwards of 400-500 euros. the toys are going to cost another 100 or so. feeding it isnt just a case of giving it seed, pellets are a better answer but they are hard to get (mine come from the uk) they also need veg, fruit and grains everyday. also you know the only 2 qualified avian vets are both in dublin and it can be fairly expensive to get a check up. which in my opinion they do need!

most birds live to at least 15 -20yrs, that includes yours regular budgie. bigger parrots can live a minimum of 30 and as much as 60 or 70yrs. they need out of cage time, and attention to be stimulated properly this can mean a few hours a day!

what type of parrot are you looking for exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Hi deedsie,
    Are we talking about a parrolet here or a macaw? If you haven't had much experience before I'd reccommend holding off for a few months and do lots of research.
    Just remember that bird's are very loud, quite expensive, and make a huge mess. A room with a small parrot will generate five times the dust, I promise!!!
    To be honest the "cool factor" of being able to tell people you have a parrot doesn't come close to outweighing the disadvantages of having one.

But if you can get over that, there is lots of species out there to choose from. Just promise you'll do the homework first!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Where ever you get yoru bird be very careful where you get it, visit the place a few times before hand to be sure it's run clean and well and that the bird has been captive bred.

If this is your very first bird I would not recommend a parrot a bird like a cockatiel may be better or another type of parakeet. If you've never had a bird before suddenly being landed with a large parrot can be a bit of a shock..not always but sometimes. They need so much time and are extremely demanding you need to give them as much time you would a dog esp. if it's a lone bird in fact probably more time than a dog.

I've always wanted a larger bird but tbh our cockatiel is very demanding and does not like to be left alone for long, he needs more attention than our dogs but he is a sweetheart and great fun and they can be taught to speak numerous words very clearly, they can be right clowns as well.
    Even a cockatiel cage is very expensive.

Not trying to put you off but just think very carefully first and check out sites like tailfeathers, it's a forum for all sorts of pet birds.

Sometimes birds come into rescues so ask around your local rescues and DSPCA you never know also google the irishparrotsociety sometimes there's birds looking for new homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate the advice. Truth be told the bird is for my Father. He has always wanted one. Ill read up on it as much as i can and see what i think then.

Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

One site you should take a look at is

http://www.parrots.org/ my parrot keeping son is a member and I'd recommend joining

http://www.parrots.org/index.php/referencelibrary/beginnerguidetoparrots/ has some pdf's for beginners that cover the essentials.

• Advertisement
Advertisement