Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Shoot....

Options
  • 11-12-2008 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

...this Friday. Though something I hadn't thought about until now is: do I need some sort of release from the fighters or is that already applied by virtue of admittance as photographer? Any ideas anyone?
    Cheers. icon_biggrin.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

What are you shooting them for and who are you shooting? What level do they fight at etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭conkeroo

Dragan wrote: »
    What are you shooting them for and who are you shooting? What level do they fight at etc etc?
    Just shooting for myself, for my portfolio. Though I cant rule out the possibility of commercial use later on. As far as I can gather its all amateur. Its for a Glasnevin gym, KO Martial Arts. I've already spoken to the organiser and its confirmed that i'll retain full rights but im not sure where that leaves me with regards to the fighters. All are over 18.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If the images are used editorially (newspaper) then you don't need a release.

If you want to use the images commercially - advertising, etc, then you will need a signed release.

Paulw wrote: »
    If the images are used editorially (newspaper) then you don't need a release.

If you want to use the images commercially - advertising, etc, then you will need a signed release.
    Cheers for that Paul, appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

conkeroo wrote: »
    Just shooting for myself, for my portfolio. Though I cant rule out the possibility of commercial use later on. As far as I can gather its all amateur. Its for a Glasnevin gym, KO Martial Arts. I've already spoken to the organiser and its confirmed that i'll retain full rights but im not sure where that leaves me with regards to the fighters. All are over 18.

Just explain everything to Barry that it may end up ( but unlikely ) being used for commercial reasons and ask them to sign the release. Barry is a good lad, can't see him or any of his club having issues with it.

MMA is on the rise in Ireland though, we have people being signed to the biggest show on the planet in the UFC so it's a great time to be getting into the Photography of it!

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    Just explain everything to Barry that it may end up ( but unlikely ) being used for commercial reasons and ask them to sign the release. Barry is a good lad, can't see him or any of his club having issues with it.

MMA is on the rise in Ireland though, we have people being signed to the biggest show on the planet in the UFC so it's a great time to be getting into the Photography of it!
    Ive decided that any of the shots I get will be just used for my portfolio. That was what I initially intended so i'll stick to that. Cheers Dragan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I shoot for a boxing club with permission from the club. I use the pictures online in my flickr and bebo, I have a picture on m,y business card and the club uses the pictures in their advertisements. There is no release signed with the fighters, I pass pics on to them as requested for a small tiny fee and job done.

I have never had a problem with it but then theres nothing to say that someone couldnt contact me and say, hey I dont want you to use my picture, if that was to happen I would just stop using it. I do not make profit at all from the pictures so I can't see there being a major issue with it.

Advertisement