Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Buddhists celebrate Christmas

Options
  • 11-12-2008 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I come from Ireland originally, but now live in Thailand. I am Buddhist and so is my wife and son. It is common for many Buddhists in Thailand to celebrate Christmas in a non-religious way; some of the richer Thais like the idea of Santa Claus as a way to spoil their kids.

My son is only one and a half now, but I suppose after this year it is something I need to decide. The question is should I allow him to celebrate the non-Christian aspects of Christmas. My wife likes the idea, but I'm not sure. Do non-Christians have a right to celebrate it, and is it a good thing to lie about Santa to children.

I think that my family in Ireland would be very pleased if he were to celebrate it. He would be able to enjoy it with his cousins if we visit Ireland at this time of year. I also want him to be proud of his Irish culture as well as his Thai. What to you guys think? This is a decision that I will need to make myself, but I'm interested in what others think. Should Buddhists celebrate Christmas? Do Irish Buddhists allow their children to get caught up in the whole Christmas thing.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Celebrate whatever you want. Life's too short to get hung up on it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Paulgar

This attitude would be fine if it was jut me, but I try and put a bit more consideration into decisions about my son.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Sorry if I sounded flippant - I'm a parent myself, so I can understand how difficult decisions can be if they affect your children. But what are your concerns?

The question about lying to your son is the only downside I can see, but I think that figuring this out for themselves in an important step for children to learn to think for themselves, and not believe everything they're told, no matter who it comes from.

Or are you worried about 'spoiling' him?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Exactly. I'm been a Buddhist for a good number of years now and I celebrate Christmas.

In relation to your kid, I think the important thing is to celebrate the underlying secular values of the season, such as giving, family togetherness and of course the birth of Santa Clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Exactly. I'm been a Buddhist for a good number of years now and I celebrate Christmas.

In relation to your kid, I think the important thing is to celebrate the underlying secular values of the season, such as giving, family togetherness and of course the birth of Santa Clause.
    Another Buddhist here, one kid, we celebrate Christmas same as above. Santa is part of our own childhood, did'nt hurt or damage me in any way:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Paulgar

Thanks for all the replies. I have been a Buddhist since my teens, but for years would still celebrate Christmas. It was actually my favorite time of year up until my thirties. Then I moved for to a rural part of Thailand where nobody celebrates Christmas and the habit died out. It actually started to seem a bit odd to me that I would celebrate it in the first place seeing as I'm not Christian - not that I have anything against Christians. Two years ago I even forgot it was Christmas day until well into the afternoon.

I suppose the thing that I am concerned about with my son is the lying about Santa part which seems to go against the Buddhist precept of harmful speech. Is it a good example to set? It is probably a relatively harmless lie. On the other hand, it is a nice festival and it will bring him closer to my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭KamikazeKenny81

Paulgar wrote: »
    I suppose the thing that I am concerned about with my son is the lying about Santa part which seems to go against the Buddhist precept of harmful speech. Is it a good example to set? It is probably a relatively harmless lie. On the other hand, it is a nice festival and it will bring him closer to my family.

This concern has been on my mind at this time of year for the past couple of years. I dont have any kids but I will watch this thread closely to see others points of view :D

The pro's I always hear are, let children be children, protect their innocence, let them enjoy the magicalness of it etc. But when u really think about it are any of these really positive? Is it not best to encourage children to see the world as it really is? (The buddhist real world i mean, not the real world as in working 9-5 capitalism).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I come from Ireland originally, but now live in Thailand. I am Buddhist and so is my wife and son. It is common for many Buddhists in Thailand to celebrate Christmas in a non-religious way; some of the richer Thais like the idea of Santa Claus as a way to spoil their kids.

My son is only one and a half now, but I suppose after this year it is something I need to decide. The question is should I allow him to celebrate the non-Christian aspects of Christmas. My wife likes the idea, but I'm not sure. Do non-Christians have a right to celebrate it, and is it a good thing to lie about Santa to children.

I think that my family in Ireland would be very pleased if he were to celebrate it. He would be able to enjoy it with his cousins if we visit Ireland at this time of year. I also want him to be proud of his Irish culture as well as his Thai. What to you guys think? This is a decision that I will need to make myself, but I'm interested in what others think. Should Buddhists celebrate Christmas? Do Irish Buddhists allow their children to get caught up in the whole Christmas thing.
    A season of compassion and gift-giving and general happiness! The time of year when everyone makes a special effort to get along with each other and meet with family!
    Yes of course we should!
    As for the santa thing I would be divided about that, it's up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

bluewolf wrote: »
    A season of compassion and gift-giving and general happiness! The time of year when everyone makes a special effort to get along with each other and meet with family!.

That's certainly not my experience of Christmas...

Otherwise I'm in complete agreement with Blackhorse Slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thanks for all the replies. I have been a Buddhist since my teens, but for years would still celebrate Christmas. It was actually my favorite time of year up until my thirties. Then I moved for to a rural part of Thailand where nobody celebrates Christmas and the habit died out. It actually started to seem a bit odd to me that I would celebrate it in the first place seeing as I'm not Christian - not that I have anything against Christians. Two years ago I even forgot it was Christmas day until well into the afternoon.

Do you still live in that same rural area? If so then it will only be your family celebrating christmas, so not as if lots of your son's future friends will be gabbing about santa. Why not just leave him out, tell him that people pretend to be santa, or dress up as him or something about what santa is, rather than lying about him? From the sounds of things you basically get to remake christmas for your family, do it however you want it to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Santa's just a god. He has his uses as a cosmic absolute, for instructing children in behaviour. Richard Dawkins has written about this.

For my part I relish the Winter Festival. I know that the tree has its origins in the pre-Christian (indeed pre-Indo-European) Year God. In Saxon England they cut down the Yule Log, dragged it through town, and set it on fire to wake the God so he would wake the Goddess and bring back the world from winter. In Germany they took a tree indoors and put candles on it, signifying the same. In Lithuania they just went out to the forest and set a tree on fire.

I don't worry much about the birth of Jesus this time of year. I tend to try to use the phrase "Glad Yule" to "Happy Christmas" but I don't mind either.

Advertisement