Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business opportunity somewhere?

Options
  • 11-12-2008 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Dear All,
    I'm looking into opening a chipper in the Dublin commuter belt, but I really need some advise on where you think a good location would be.
    Is there a village out there that desperately needs a chipper, or more likely another chipper?
    Portloise, for example? what do you think?
    Best regards,
    Xserty

Comments

Have you experience running a chipper or do you just feel there is an opportunity to make money from one of these as a side venture i.e. you own the business but hire other people to run it.

I personally believe it's one of those businesses you can run without having ever worked in a chipper before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

First off good luck in trying to getting planning for one, you'll need it.

Also be warned you'll definitely run into the 'Macari Mafia" who will go out of their way to fock up any attempts you make to open one (ie their antics in Lucan).

Its a difficult business, tough trading hours, often tough customers to deal with, stock control can be tricky and staff theft can be rampant.

I'd have to disagree utterly that its possible to just open one and run it without ever having worked in one before, or to just hire others to run it for you (bye bye investment), all the best chippers in this country are family owned and family run with a huge wealth of knowledge behind them. If you notice that EVERYTIME you walk into your local chipper either the proprietor or his wife is ALWAYS standing there behind the counter.

Its a very profitable business if done right but realistically most of the locations are long since taken, any new locations that come up you competing with the Pizza takeaways, cafes, big fast food chains etc, as I said chances of getting a location and securing planning are really quite low.

Go get a job in a Chipper, work there for a month and see if you like it, you really have to have an absolute passion for the food business otherwise you just won't stick it out.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Trump

xserty wrote: »
    Dear All,
    I'm looking into opening a chipper in the Dublin commuter belt, but I really need some advise on where you think a good location would be.
    Is there a village out there that desperately needs a chipper, or more likely another chipper?
    Portloise, for example? what do you think?
    Best regards,
    Xserty
    You have not mentioned if you have experience within this industry..?

If the answer is no,well go and get a part time job in a chipper, learn the operation methods,tips and tricks.Then keep your eyes open for a chipper to lease, they are often advertised.This will provide a better way of entry to this market as opposed to new location.You will not have to contend with planning and plus it will be cheaper.

Any business can be run on the side as long as you know that business inside out.Its down to you to learn and your desire to how much you want it.

Best of luck

Aldos just beside Foxrock (and Cornelscourt) is a chipper where the owner is rarely there. Three Chinese guys who have been working there for years are manning the place basically. I occassionally see the proprietor (I don't eat the food there often as it's not my thing but I drive by multiple times every day since I leave near) and he is rarely there anymore. I think he works the odd Saturday or Sunday to talk to all his customers as he is a friendly, charismatic guy and that's when most of them come in. I was also told that it's possible to run one without ever working in one by the owner of another chipper who said that as long as the people you are hiring are trained well, it's possible. What impact this has on your investment (as Hammertime says) I'm not sure of? But that's for you to sort out. I'm just passing on what I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

If your not planning on doing any work there yourself then i would think about stealing a manager or well experienced staff member from a chipper thats already running well and successfully

This kind of person knows whats involved on a day to day basis and knows how to get it done

I would offer them a set wage for the first month to ascess the turnover and then say 3-5% of the profits for the duration of their employment which will encourage them to run a tight ship

The staff can be minimum waged as long as the person supervising them knows whats going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 xserty

Thanks for all your replies... :)
    FYI, I'm an experienced manager. I already run a chipper business a few years now and, to answer TheEntrepreneur and madmik, I must say that if you wanna be successful in this business, you have to be there yourself. Fish and Chips is not a business that scales well in the sense that you can't really put a manager and just go collect the cash at the end of the night. Things just tend to go "wild" witout the owner. And anyways, you'll find yourself handing over all your profit to the manager!
    Hammertime: agree with you completely except for the "very profitable" side... it's just only profitable when you take into the equation the number of hours you work. Sometimes I found asking myself: is it worth it?
    So Foxrock/Cornelscourt village is a possible location where another chipper would fit? Any other options? In the meanwhile I'll investigate that area further.
    Hope to continue getting responses with more locations... I'll continue to keep an eye on this thread.
    Again, thanks and regards,
    Xserty

What's up Xserty? Foxrock Village is a definite location i'd look at if I had the inclination/desire to open a chipper. It's a potential profitable area but Aldos in Cabinteely Village(beside Cornelscourt) does very well and has the support of the N11 and the magic carpet pub right across the road which Foxrock village does not have and a lot of the customer tend to come from Foxrock anyway.

Since you're an experienced manager anyway, you should be able to identify and spot if it's a good location or not. Why don't you pop down and check it out? I know there are properties for lease in that area anyway so it's worth a look; you won't lose anything so go for it.

I planned to go to Foxrock this afternoon, but we eventually diverted to Dundrum SC for what should have been a 5 minute shopping spree... but ended up staying there all day! :(
    I'll have to wait till next week-end, don't think I can make it during the week.
    I'll let you know...
    Regards,
    Xserty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There was a chipper for sale just off Goatstown rd and not far from Goat Grill, next nearest chipper is in Stillorgan. Anyways despite the nearby pubs, sporting pubs, lots of schools, affluent area, and plenty of new building going on etc etc, it never sold, next it was available for rent, still no interest.

Now well check it out, but it would seem a much busy and better spot than the 'remoteness' of Foxrock (well depending on which part of the 'Foxrock' you mean).

There was a chipper for sale just off Goatstown rd and not far from Goat Grill, next nearest chipper is in Stillorgan. Anyways despite the nearby pubs, sporting pubs, lots of schools, affluent area, and plenty of new building going on etc etc, it never sold, next it was available for rent, still no interest.

Now well check it out, but it would seem a much busy and better spot than the 'remoteness' of Foxrock (well depending on which part of the 'Foxrock' you mean).

Hi Sonnenblumen,
    I think I know which one you're talking about. I once enquired about that chipper, but they said to me that it was no longer on the market (although it was still on daft). Anyways, it's still up there but under a short term lease which I'm not interested in.
    Thanks anyways
    Xserty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

Blackrock in Dublin badly needs a good chipper,the one on the y junction at the top of the main street has a terrible name and its the only one close by.

TheEntrepreneur: I've finally made it to Foxrock last night and I don't really think you would earn much of a living there with a take away. The catchment area is very limited and there is no main road with a heavy traffic fall.
    You would be mainly competing with another chipper (in Cornelscourt) over a couple of thousands of people. I wouldn't take a risk in Foxrock at the moment, sorry! ;)
    Xserty

What do you think about Lucan?? Any ideas?

Blackrock in Dublin badly needs a good chipper,the one on the y junction at the top of the main street has a terrible name and its the only one close by.

I'll have a look at Blackrock when I have a chance.... first I wanna see what's the story in Lucan...
    Thanks!

xserty wrote: »
    I'll have a look at Blackrock when I have a chance.... first I wanna see what's the story in Lucan...
    Thanks!

no bother,dont know anything about Lucan sorry.Best of Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

One thing that is worth mentioning OP. This will be a 100% cash business. If you are going into it with a notion that you can trust other's to run the operation for you, you will need to accept that eventually someone you take on will make a decision to rob you and pocket your takings.

If you are dealing with cash payments, I'd say that you have to be there yourself or have family involved, because you just can't trust other people with cash. Before I get jumped on here for assuming the worst in people, I've unfortunately learnt this lesson the hard way, so if you are going down this road, get in CCTV...

I wouldn't get into this type of a business for the following reasons:

Unsociable hours.

Dealing with drunks, idiots, etc.

I wouldn't trust anyone to run a cash business for me, because I know from experience they will ultimately find a way to rob you.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    One thing that is worth mentioning OP. This will be a 100% cash business. If you are going into it with a notion that you can trust other's to run the operation for you, you will need to accept that eventually someone you take on will make a decision to rob you and pocket your takings.

Completely agree with you... no matter how good you would pay a manager, it's just a matter of time.
    If you are dealing with cash payments, I'd say that you have to be there yourself or have family involved, because you just can't trust other people with cash. Before I get jumped on here for assuming the worst in people, I've unfortunately learnt this lesson the hard way, so if you are going down this road, get in CCTV...

I've learnt it the hard way too... and I can tell you that staff can "bypass" CCTV by giving wrong change (more than due) or even give extra food and just not include it in the bill.
    I wouldn't get into this type of a business for the following reasons:

Unsociable hours.

Dealing with drunks, idiots, etc.

I wouldn't trust anyone to run a cash business for me, because I know from experience they will ultimately find a way to rob you.

Yes, it is a hard business for those reasons, but if you close say at 11pm, you avoid most of the idiots and drunk but you would still be working unsociable hours. If you close once a week then you would have something to look forward at during the rest of the week.

Xserty

Dipping the tills etc is hard to stamp out but can be kept to a minimum by dropping by unexpectedly and doing up the tills,sending mates in regularly until they become well known and liked regulars and see if any of the staff give them free food/discounts etc.
    CCTV connected to the internet (never let staff see the CCTV monitors so they dont know where a cameras range begins/ends).
    Dont buy cheap sensor activated cameras,many of them have sensors which only reach waist level and even then if you move slowly enough the camera will not activate and begin recording.

They help but tbh you can never wipe out a little pocketing by staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

I went into the chipper on Nutgrove Avenue after The Who concert last year and was very surprised to see that you ordered and paid for your food at a till completely seperate from the food prep area. I think a receipt was printed and sent "down the line" and then the food was dished out. Nice idea if you're trying to cut down on the skim. Obviously it wouldn't stop sweethearting but then there's a good bunce on a bag of chips which should well cover any free stock going over the counter.

A Dublin fellah opened one in the village I live in (in the sticks) and despite his best efforts (crappy frozen food, not overly friendly staff, less than optimum hygiene practices, shouting at his staff in front of customers) he's still doing ok. Amazingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Dipping the tills etc is hard to stamp out but can be kept to a minimum by dropping by unexpectedly and doing up the tills,sending mates in regularly until they become well known and liked regulars and see if any of the staff give them free food/discounts etc.
    CCTV connected to the internet (never let staff see the CCTV monitors so they dont know where a cameras range begins/ends).
    Dont buy cheap sensor activated cameras,many of them have sensors which only reach waist level and even then if you move slowly enough the camera will not activate and begin recording.

They help but tbh you can never wipe out a little pocketing by staff.

I had such a bad experience with someone robbing me, it will be a while before I look at a cash business again. What I do now is all cashless.. I couldn't trust anyone with cash at the moment, I had a cnut robbing thousands off me in a past business and it is hard to accept when you find someone doing this to your business...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Any more info on the (alleged) "Lucan antics of the Macaris"? Lucan is totally under served by chippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

there is a new premises beside the Playwright pub on Newtownpark ave which is vacant and I think up for lease - there is no chipper near there - there is a chinese and a thai - but a big catchment area. Obviously the playwright is now a TGI fridays and the other pub there, I think the wishing well also does food. There is a chipper further down the road but I'm not sure of it's opening hours............

Ellechim wrote: »
    there is a new premises beside the Playwright pub on Newtownpark ave which is vacant and I think up for lease - there is no chipper near there - there is a chinese and a thai - but a big catchment area. Obviously the playwright is now a TGI fridays and the other pub there, I think the wishing well also does food. There is a chipper further down the road but I'm not sure of it's opening hours............

Know the area very well. That chipper down the road from the Playwright that you are talking about is never open past 10 I think but it is only a 3/4 minute walk from the Playwright. Could be a bit too close for comfort to launch another chipper business there?

Would the footfall from the playwright (excluding Fridays and Saturdays) during the week (lunchtime etc) be better than the footfall beside the big Spar on Newtownpark ave...I doubted. That chipper down by the Spar does very well during the day (lunch times) and dinner time. I've seen it myself but maybe it's changed in the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Any ideas on getting rough turnover figures for a well located chipper? Does anyone know the people behind the Macari in Castletymon in Tallaght?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

yes get CCTV, get lots of CCTV muhaahaahaa :)

I give you good price 1 million dollar!!

Advertisement