Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat visits and is rejected would it suffer

Options
  • 11-12-2008 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

In a country town,

There is cat that lives a street away that is left outside alot (or the cats ownwers house has a kitty flap). It used to play outside my house and i would dangle a string or flick a branch about which would entertain it for ages.

I never fed it just sharpened its stealth and attack skills. So it would visit now and then when i was around and vice versa.

One very cold day i found the cat outside and could see it's owners were away.It was soon night and still no sign of them. It would have frozen stiff, it was a real deep freeze, so it being no stranger to my house i let it sit with us on the sofa, where it soon fell asleep.

It also got a bowl of tuna. One of the few times i have fed it. The next morning it was around the house and then that evening the owners finally returned but it began to visit the house again and again.We had become a cat family. It wasn't the food and usually wouldn't eat any offered

So it became very attached and began to visit every day even every few hours. It expected to actually stay and have a long snooze in our company. I felt mean but had to shoo it away, so that it would return to the owners house.

Eventually it went away and now i don't see it so often. but i know if i was to call it, it would be back in a flash like it was back in its pride and would stay around all day and night.I am not going to as it would be better if it stayed with its owners. I wonder by rejecting it like that would it suffer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Well, it probably isn't suffering exactly, but cats do form bonds with people, so it probably was just a bit confused. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you feel the cat is being looked after properly.

Do you know its owners?

The reason I ask, is that I had a similar situation with my neighbours' kitten, that kept visiting me and like you, I tried to stop it coming in etc. Eventually, I spoke to the owners and they said they didn't mind if it stayed in my house because they had small kids who were driving the kitten crazy with rough play etc. They said that as long as they knew where the kitten was, and that it was being looked after they didn't mind.

So now - the bloody thing never goes home! :D Its a sweet thing though so I don't really mind and I think it goes home to them during the day when I'm at work.

So, if you are feeling attached to this cat, you could always ask the owners if you could adopt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Old thread...

While the cat and i are friends it seems the little fella prefers the winter season to pay me a visit. In the summer it will play outside but wont be so bothered about jumping in the window.

I have had cats of my own and there has always been a vicious territorial fights between neighbouring cats. My poor cat was always getting into fights.

This little critter that visits me has been very fortunate, with no competition about the place and has rarely had to defend its territory.

Advertisement