Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCS:- Black Shark English Version Released!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

Nate, can you give us your initial impressions of this? I'm dithering as to whether I should buy the game or not. I've recently bought some upgrades for FSX which is keeping me busy, but I've had my eye on Black Shark for sometime now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I've had the russian version for a few weeks already. Couldn't wait for the international release... now i have the english version too :)

Image028.jpg

All I was doing for the first few hours was crashing ... spectacularly. It really does feel like you've got 10 tons of metal dangling under a set of supercharged ceiling fans. Eagle Dynamics once again prove they are the masters of creating authentic flight models.

If you like Sims you are gonna LOVE this!

Eagle Dynaimcs released the English Manuals for free if you want to have a taste of what to expect

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?end_pos=2199&scr=products&lang=en

Should you have any specific questions i'd be happy to answer as best i can

Nate

Gloomy boring day...
    ScreenShot_000.jpg

Hello there.....
    ScreenShot_008.jpg

Hungry? Have some of this.
    ScreenShot_010.jpg

Mmmmmm.
    ScreenShot_011.jpg

Uneventful landing.......
    ScreenShot_019.jpg

Heading home that evening....
    ScreenShot_020.jpg

A new friend.
    ScreenShot_025.jpg

Whats that noise?
    ScreenShot_026.jpg

ScreenShot_028.jpg

ScreenShot_029.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

Excellent! Thanks Nate, you've convinced me! I've being playing sims since Gunship on the C64 many moons ago...today the trouble is finding the time to get stuck into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

Hey Nate,
    How does this compare to the Enemy Engaged series?
    Is there a decent Campaign structure or a set of linear missions?

Crowman wrote: »
    Hey Nate,
    How does this compare to the Enemy Engaged series?
    Is there a decent Campaign structure or a set of linear missions?

In terms of the feeling of flight, no other sim has even come close to this. The modeling of the KA-50 is light years ahead of any sim that has come before (Falcon 4 still betters DCS in terms of the campaign though) Avionics wise it is incredibly detailed (Start up Procedure - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3uK2dhHlbk&feature=related )

Here is link to give you an idea of the complexities of the model

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?end_pos=950&scr=default&lang=en

The Campaign is not dynamic like the EE series, however it is not linear like Lock On. Personally I'm still on the Deployment campaign, and it is very very good IMHO. I still have to start main 4 part 100 mission campaign. If you have specific questions i'll do my best to answer them.

I'll let one of the Developers give more info (from the SimHQ interview)...
    wrote:
    A large focus of DCS: Black Shark, compared to our earlier products, has been on providing good mission gameplay. We did this through several methods:

1- Our Mission Editor includes a powerful scripting system that allows the setting of triggers and resulting events. This allows the mission designer to create missions with more dynamic cause-and-effect situations. Such examples include activating units, displaying messages, playing audio files, and setting linked events. These can be triggered from units entering and exiting specified areas, being damaged or destroyed, or even times. In the hands of a skilled mission designer, interesting and realistic missions can be created.

2- Rather than a linear campaign that requires the player to successfully complete a mission before moving on to the next, we have included a phased-campaign system that allows a front line to move back and forth and allow a non-linear mission progression.

3- Built into the Mission Editor are functions to allow the random appearance of units based on a chance of appearing percentage.
    Combined, we feel DCS: Black Shark will provide an immersive and interesting mission environment.

wrote:
    Q: With all respects to Lock On, arguably, there was the comment that it seemed very “clinical” at times and more of a technology achievement than an immersive flight sim. DCS: Black Shark seems to have captured that missing element that some players had as a complaint. Judging by the first page of the Flight Manual that says, “A large focus of DCS: Black Shark, compared to our earlier products, has been on providing good mission gameplay.” What triggered this realization?

A: I think the realization has always been there; what has been lacking has been the time and resources to do something about it. Due to obligations of our military contracts like the A-10C Desk Top Simulator for the Air National Guard, we had to put the aircraft simulation aspects of the Ka-50 on hold for over a year. The benefit was that this gave us the time to re-write the Mission Editor with the inclusion of a Trigger system. One big thing I took away from my time at EA/Jane’s was that a good Trigger system can be used to create very engaging missions with a very “alive” feel. The big variable though is the skill of the mission designer. In the hands of a talented mission designer, our new Mission Editor with the Trigger system can be used to create a combat environment that feels very interactive with good game play. Like other elements of DCS though, the Trigger system will continue to evolve with new functions.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

is it multi player?

I normally fly in IL2 (haven't flown a heli since Commance AH64).

What are the min specs?

amen wrote: »
    is it multi player?

I normally fly in IL2 (haven't flown a heli since Commance AH64).

What are the min specs?

I can't seem to find anything on the min specs at the moment, but it runs faster and smoother than Lock on, while looking better, if thats any yardstick
    the graphics are fully adjustable to suit your requirments. I have all the options up full, except for the water and mirrors and i get good fps with a Core2 @3ghz and 7900gs and 2gb Ram. Unless your system is ancient you will probably have most options up full too.

Yes there is co-op multiplayer, and there are a good few training servers out there with people just getting familar with the systems and helping each other out.

From the SimHq interview:- http://www.simhq.com/_air12/air_394b.html
    wrote:
    Multiplayer

Q: How would you rank the importance of the multiplayer capability to the development of DCS: Black Shark?

A: Although roughly only 5% of DCS customers ever play online, we still feel it a very import aspect of the simulation and we’ve spent a lot of time re-writing the network code for Black Shark to improve it. Additionally, we added an integrated online game browser to automatically list DCS Internet servers is detects. In later DCS iterations we are committed to add additional multiplayer features. Like DCS in general, the multiplayer aspect is a work in progress that will grow and improve over time according to our needs and user feedback. In fact, we are already working on integrated VOIP communications.

Q: A follow-up to the previous question. Presumably someday DCS will decide to develop an air-to-air combat sim. Do you anticipate any more emphasis in an air-to-air product than an air-to-ground flight sim?

A: Currently, the emphasis is on air-to-ground combat with the Ka-50 and the A-10C to follow. However, we already have several air-to-air fighters like the Su-27 and F-16 in development to be introduced into the DCS environment at a later date. As we get closer to releasing these modules, more resources will be allocated to air-to-air combat and all the related issues like air-to-air missile performance, air-to-air radar, AI tactics, etc. For now though, most of our efforts are focused on such things as ground unit AI, forward air controller interactions, and even better close air support AI. One step at a time.

Hope that helps.

Nate

Advertisement