Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurcher and Cat(s)

Options
  • 10-12-2008 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hello,
    Having had one cat return home after being gone for two and a half weeks, I felt like it should be nice and quiet for my pets & I over the festive period.
    But had a slight spanner thrown in the works today (ableit a very good spanner!)
    I've been offered the chance to rehome a lurcher. I've met him and he is a really lovely, docile, placid dog. He's very friendly and gentle and appears very good natured and laidback.
    He hasn't officially lived with cats but I have seen him with cats and he doesn't seem to pay them any heed at all, if anything he seems a little nervous (but not in anyway inclined to snap).
    I've also done some research on some lurcher websites/communities and nearly all have said that they've never had any problems (or at least problems they haven't been able to solve) with lurchers and their own cats.
    I still however have a niggling doubt about the whole thing because I could never forgive myself if anything happened to the cats and because from what I've learnt, lurchers are hunting dogs and are generally trained to chase small furry things :(
    I'm fully expecting the whole transition trauma as I've experienced introducing new animals to ''my gang'' so that while always a concern, is something I'm prepared for but if anyone has any experience with lurchers, particularly rehoming them with cats, I'd greatly appreciate your feedback
    Thanks
    Rachel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭fits

I know many lurchers that live peacefully with cats. They're just dogs after all. Some will have a high drive for cats, some wont.

If you want him take him, but dont leave him unsupervised with the cats until you're certain it will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I've rehomed quite few lurcher and GH's into home with resident felines. I echo fits post.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

thank you both
    i've slept on it and feel like i'm making the right decision by giving him a home.
    As fits advised, I won't leave them all together and unsupervised for the timebeing and hopefully the latest addition to my household will fit right in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Congrats on the lurcher, they are a great breed loyal and intelligent. As mentioned above never leave the pair of them alone till you are sure he wont go for the cat. My lad is bombproof with cats but for some stange reason he will attack white ones. I have never figured this out. Try and find out as much history on the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I'll echo what the others have said. It really depends on the dog. My lurcher is fine with cats but our family's old labrador wasn't, so you just can't tell. It's probably a good sign that when you saw the dog around a cat he wasn't dancing around to get hold of it like my greyhound does! Some people choose to muzzle the dog for the first few encounters and do remember that a cat sitting still or lying down quietly is a different kettle of fish to a cat running around, which might provoke the chase instinct in the dog. I have friends with lurchers who are fine with the resident cats but will chase any strange cats coming into the garden so beware of that too. I suppose don't assume just because they are safe with your cats they will be safe with all cats.

Also, as an aside, please be aware that a certain sector of society might show an interest in your lurcher to be. We have had attempts made to steal ours so just beware and never levae them unattended in the garden, in the car alone or tied up outside shops etc.

Good luck, they are really wonderful dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I found this to be a great source on Lurchers

http://www.lurcherlink.org/llink/forum/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

thank you all for your replies
    Jack came home last Thursday and so far so good.
    I'm keeping him separated from the cats when both myself and my fiance are out but when we're at home, it appears that Jack is more afraid of the cats than they are of him even though most of the time he just shows complete indifference! (even when one of the cats used his tail as a plaything :))
    As it is early days yet I don't want to get lulled into a false sense of security but all indications so far suggest that Jack is a lovely kind natured dog who loves trips in the car, walks and lying out in front of the fire!

Advertisement