Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Images skewed

Options
  • 10-12-2008 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 400d and often get skewed images (a 1 or 2 percent rotation tends to sort it) and I always thought it was just me but I'm not sure as my wife has taken a few skewed shots of late.

Is it likely to be

a. me not holding camera horizontal (it is a heavy lens and it doesn't sit in the centre of the camera as the buttons and dials are all on one side)
    b. my camera
    c. my lens (efs 17-85 is)

(not sure if b or c are even possible)
    and how would I go about finding out for sure?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Use a spirit level to draw a line at eye height, then shoot the line with your viewfinder grid lined up to it, then see if it comes out level in your picture, or even use the spirit level to level the camera.

I dunno... something with spirit levels anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

make sure to turn off the image stabilization

sometimes you can get barrel roll from it when on a tripod

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

.. something with spirit levels anyway!

Get one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭BeautifulLoser

bedlam wrote: »
    - Try your camera on a tripod on level ground.
    - Try shooting with someone else's camera.
    - Have both your legs measured ;)

Excellent.
    Use a spirit level to draw a line at eye height, then shoot the line with your viewfinder grid lined up to it, then see if it comes out level in your picture, or even use the spirit level to level the camera.

I dunno... something with spirit levels anyway!

Ok, used a spirit level and my tri-pod (without IS - ta stcstc) and I think it's me. Also looked back on some of my problematic shots. I have a feeling I tend to line up the bottom of the viewfinder with something straight, but not necessarily horizontal, like the bottom of a building rather than framing the building more naturally in its setting. Make sense? I think the lesson is I must make more of a conscious effort not to get lured in by these false horizons!
    Failing that I'll have to resort to Kbeg3's suggestion!

Thanks to all for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I always used to get uneven horizons on my D50. The D90 I have now has gridlines in the viewfinder, which makes it much easier to avoid :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement