Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Banning modified exhausts

Options
  • 10-12-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Was any body listening to the Matt Cooper on today FM.

There was some idiot talking about how he is gona make the roads safer by banning cars with modified exhausts or exhausts over a certain db.

This drives me insane:mad::mad::mad:. How would this possibly make the roads safer?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Clarification in this thread below. Most of it is reasonable but the db limit is actually lower than some factory exhausts.

Did not hear the interview today but if the last one was anything to go buy it was more of a rant than informative.

I will say i wont miss stupidly loud cans on silly cars.

See here:
    http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=371080

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

That made me lol.

Less exhaust noise will of course prevent deaths and serious accidents /sarcasm :rolleyes:
    How about they actually do something to save lives rather than this kinda crap.

Anyway, down here they cant tell the difference between a Air filter roar and a backbox roar. Learned that first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

What about people who own GT mustangs, AMG mercs, ferraris etc which all have loud exhausts from factory, they all gonna be banned from driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jackblack99

Duff wrote: »
    What about people who own GT mustangs, AMG mercs, ferraris etc which all have loud exhausts from factory, they all gonna be banned from driving?

Thats what i was saying makes no sense at all. Them cars will fail the nct if they are over a certain db. He was saying the coppers are gona carry around a device so they can measure the db of your car. So then theyl do ya if its too loud

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

from what i gathered, as long as the exhaust was factory standard to the car you will be fine,

so ferari drivers you'll be fine!!!

how's my car gonna breathe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Some of the cans on cars are so loud and they put them on sheds too, I used Janspeed ones on my Civic VTI that I had about 10 years ago and it was very quiet until around 6,000 revs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Duff wrote: »

So cars that you actually want to hear the engine note off then :rolleyes:.

Noisy exhausts on 4cyl engines is just plain sad imo. I'm sick of being woken up in the dead of night by saps in civics with dustbins welded to their exhausts. I wouldn't mind if it was a decent car making the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Ferris wrote: »

Noisy exhausts on 4cyl engines is just plain sad imo. I'm sick of being woken up in the dead of night by saps in civics with dustbins welded to their exhausts. I wouldn't mind if it was a decent car making the noise.

+1

There's nothing worse than seeing some twat kiddie in a saxo or 106 GTi, Astra, whatever with a huge ugly exhaust on the back that roars for no other reason than the kiddie wants to be noticed. Attention whoring of the saddest kind.

Banning them to save lives? That's a pretty stupid idea. Banning them to bring a little peace and quiet to the area. That's good!

There's not too many Ferrari's in many housing estates but there's loads of boy 'racers' :rolleyes: with loud exhausts so getting rid of them would definitely reduce noise levels.

BTW, I've no problem with well modified cars with a bit of class but barry cars are just sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

its just a rant by some idiot thats trying to get votes but will never actually be able to do anything.

that said the gardai are supposed to be getting db readers to check the noise level of exhausts and be given instructions on how to use them properly. this would be much better than the current situation which allows gardai to judge themselves whether an exhaust is too noisy or not.

also if it put a stop to the idiots that stick 4 inch exhausts on there 1.4 cars and then drive constantly up and down through towns then it'll be a good thing.

for example my integra makes no more noise going through a down than a normal 1.8litre car and only makes noise when you use the power as opposed to a 1.3 litre corolla that goes through the town and has the rumble of a truck when its just idle! disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

It's so people won't hear the boyracers speeding and then get hit by the cars :D

Aswell as stupidly loud Saxos, the waste boost sound off TDis would do your head in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭tossy

I think we need to distinguish between a modified exhaust and a stupified exhaust,im all for banning stupified exhausts but banning modified ones is silly,unless the government are going to pay for me to bring my car in to a garage,pay for a brand new original factory exhaust and labour to boot,even then i still wouldn't go back to stock! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

I know jack sh1t all about exhausts other than it drives me nuts to hear these loud cars - legal or not i don't care which category they fall into. Im all for doing what makes you happy but God these cars sound crap especially at four in the morning doin donoughts. Quiet is good. Loud not so good - unless you're a Bowing 747. If the coppers have a new device for getting them off the road i say rock on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

livvy wrote: »
    I know jack sh1t all about exhausts other than it drives me nuts to hear these loud cars - legal or not i don't care which category they fall into. Im all for doing what makes you happy but God these cars sound crap especially at four in the morning doin donoughts. Quiet is good. Loud not so good - unless you're a Bowing 747. If the coppers have a new device for getting them off the road i say rock on.

oh ffs.

Why is it that when ever people complain about loud exhausts they say "doing doughnuts at 4 in the morning"

have any of ye experienced any hassle at all or are you all being sheep and copying the last persons opinion?
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

ClioV6 wrote: »
    oh ffs.

Why is it that when ever people complain about loud exhausts they say "doing doughnuts at 4 in the morning"

have any of ye experienced any hassle at all or are you all being sheep and copying the last persons opinion?

I prefer to do my doughnuts around 1am, because im just too tired by 4am:p

and its boeing, not BOWING:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭tossy

This thread is getting bowing! :D

Its all about having a little cop on and discretion most of the cars the general public think about as having loud exhausts wouldn't pull the foreskin off a donkey!

I have a loud exhaust,i think it sounds pretty friggin sweet too,but its only loud when i want it to be i can arrive home at 4am and no one will be any the wiser,its called driving with a little cop on!

Anyway loudness/nice sound is its secondary function performance is its first,they should ban these universal fit bean can exhausts that add nothing to a car other than the amplification of a weezy exhaust note.

If it has the word universal fit in its title then it should be laid out in al ong line and driven over with a steam roller.

That said if i wa woken at 4am by the sound of a V8 or V10 supercar giving it welly on my road,i would do myself physical harm trying to get to the window in the pitch dark to get a look at it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

What tossy said.

It is very possible to get discreet full 3" systems for allot of cars. I was saving for one to replace the jap cannon(HKS HI POWER) that originally came with the car on import. (i would have gained power two)

I never had any issues with neighbours bar them laughing and saying "Your cleaning it again?". "It must be more trouble than its worth?". I actually brought both sets of neighbours out for short spins with there kids and only got to know them from being under the car or cleaning it all the time.

Now they were pissed off an a integra typer who liked 6000rpm at 2am on his way home. I was two. So if anyone here lives in Lucan near the penny hill pub junction and fits that discription ur a muppet.:mad:

Sorry lads if you want to blame anyone blame those that abused it to ridiculous levels and not in the name of performance either.

Iv hung around motor stores long enough to know a loud back box sells 10 times better than a decat pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

ClioV6 wrote: »
    oh ffs.

Wouldnt have posted it unless i experienced it. with regards to sheep - oh ffs back at ya. Some drive their cars in a way to that would reck your head - others dont. I do think loud exhausts are very annoying - whether its a two in the afternoon or four in the morning. ba

its pretty simple to distinguish, take my local town for example.

theres people who actually know a thing or two about cars and have proper sports cars, in the town I know of:

Dc5 Integra
    Evo7
    Ek9 Type R
    Accord Type R

I see these cars every so often on the town, they drive in do what they have to do and go home.

On the other hand theres these cars

"Modified" Micra
    "Modified" Corolla X 6
    "Modified" Punto
    "Modified" Corsa
    "Modified" Focus

These cars are constantly driving up and down the town revving the balls off there cars and I mean constantly doing it non stop, anytime I go into the town day or night there there.

Target the second group of cars and the jobs a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I drive a modified Jap RX7 and it has a straight through pipe, its very loud and louder when squeezing the right pedal a bit... This was fitted when tuned in Japan and Im not taking it off... I dont like noise generaly but the sound from a Rotary engine through a big pipe is something else. The main reason I will not remove it is because a standard exhaust will cause back pressure to my turbo and it wont last long.So unless the powers that be want to buy me a new turbo they can go fcuk off... I refuse to do the NCT aswell because its stupid and the guys working there are generaly muppets with no professionalism. If they want to enforce these laws they will have to chase me cross country like the dukes of hazzard...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

So we have someone here who refuses to do the NCT, and thinks a loud exhaust from his Mazda is something else.
    Class.
    Don't take the rattle from the baby....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

gman2k wrote: »
    So we have someone here who refuses to do the NCT, and thinks a loud exhaust from his Mazda is something else.
    Class.
    Don't take the rattle from the baby....

Ohh grow up, read it again... its the sound from the Rotary engine that I mentioned... but you just want to take whatever you want to think you read and just start trouble... as for the nct, ive had too many bad experiances with them to allow them near a car that I have paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Well, I am grown up. I like the sound of a nice engine, but no-one else should be forced to listen to imbeciles driving around residential areas revving the engine loudly with loud exhausts/ engines whatever. We are entitled to some peace and quiet where we live.
    And, I too have had a car wrecked by the NCT, but I still have to NCT my vehicle. (OK, I don't at the moment cos I've a privately taxed Focus van!)
    We can't choose which laws we will comply with, and which ones we will ignore.
    What's your excuse to the Garda that pulls you over and sees you have no NCT?
    Me thinks your muppet excuse won't cut the mustard....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The only way banning modified exhausts would save lives is that the muppets, in theory, wouldn't go as fast. It's a pity they were going fast since there was "go faster stripes", or it may actually work...:rolleyes:

2qk4u wrote: »
    Ohh grow up, read it again... its the sound from the Rotary engine that I mentioned... but you just want to take whatever you want to think you read and just start trouble... as for the nct, ive had too many bad experiances with them to allow them near a car that I have paid for.

Why dont you send a letter of complaint stating your grievances with the nct?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Bit of a tangent but what are the insurance implications of not having a valid NCT?

I mean, without a valid NCT you shouldnt be on the road in the first place to be involved in an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jackblack99

draffodx wrote: »
    its pretty simple to distinguish, take my local town for example.

theres people who actually know a thing or two about cars and have proper sports cars, in the town I know of:

Dc5 Integra
    Evo7
    Ek9 Type R
    Accord Type R

I see these cars every so often on the town, they drive in do what they have to do and go home.

"Modified" Micra
    "Modified" Corolla X 6
    "Modified" Punto
    "Modified" Corsa
    "Modified" Focus

These cars are constantly driving up and down the town revving the balls off there cars and I mean constantly doing it non stop, anytime I go into the town day or night there there.

Target the second group of cars and the jobs a good one!

My thoughts exactly.

Getting the guards to take this point of view....0%chance. I reckon theyl do us every chance.

I have an evo7 and there is a lovely hum off it. I just hope this rule doesnt come into play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

Caliden wrote: »
    Bit of a tangent but what are the insurance implications of not having a valid NCT?

I mean, without a valid NCT you shouldnt be on the road in the first place to be involved in an accident

Not a tangent at all, it caleed into for some serious consideration if you're unlucky enough to be the cause of an accident - To add, what is the validity of your insurance with a "modified" exhaust on a car either ??? As long as it's been declared, but how many actually are ?

You see the Gardai instructing insurance companies to severely restrict cover on yellow plates, might not stop there.

Some good points about the actual powerful cars not being a noise nuisance, but the dressed up, worn out shopping trolleys that are !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 localnutjob

saw this thread by accident , but i hope they ban them

*EDIT*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^oh ya, that will definally make them regret having modified exhausts... grow up man. :rolleyes:
    draffodx wrote: »

"Modified" Micra
    "Modified" Corolla X 6
    "Modified" Punto
    "Modified" Corsa
    "Modified" Focus
    dont forget the almera :P. Tho I dont have a back box on mine. :D

On the crx has a crazy backbox. Insane loud and I hate it. I hate the attetion it draws and I also hate the fact that I cant drive thru my estate without waking people. Hence why I wont drive till I get a new exhaust.

Actually, draffodx what exhaust would you recommend? something not too loud but a nice sound to it when it gets going at high revs. crx with a b16b btw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,897 ✭✭✭✭unkel

anyone who puts a noisy exhaust on a car should be locked in the car and the exhaust fed in to them until they fcuking die , stupid w@nkers.

Quoted for being utterly OTT. Now be nice or don't post here anymore.

Advertisement