Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cannon slr 450d

Options
  • 10-12-2008 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. My brother bought a cannon slr 450d this year and I was hoping to buy him some accessories or a new lens as a christmas present.
    He is a beginner so nothing too complicated.
    All suggestions greatly appricated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Budget?

If you're thinking of a lens... the 50mm ("nifty fifty") either 1.8 or 1.4 version... or the canon 10-25mm EFS lens for the 450D if he's into street/landscape photography.

Flash unit (580ex/580exII) if he wants to experiment with a bigger/better light source than the on-camera flash (need to get one of these myself)...

BG-E3 grip with additional battery so he can shoot for longer...

Good size CompactFlash card if he doesn't already have one so he can perhaps shoot more in RAW...

A copy of Photoshop Lightroom so he can get more into post-processing his images if he has the time/inclination...

I have all of the above (with exception of a decent flash unit) so would recommend them all - I could keep going but this will turn into my own wishlist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Would he be interested in additional accessories like Tripods or anything like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭the-lad

Thanks guys nice suggestions.
    Budget is about 250.
    I think he needs a tripod alright, do you have to get a canon one?
    Also where is good to get this gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

davenewt wrote: »
    Good size CompactFlash card if he doesn't already have one so he can perhaps shoot more in RAW...
    the 450D uses SD Cards. :)

the-lad, at your budget I'd go for the Canon 1.4 50mm mentioned above.

It's the first thing I intend on buying as an upgrade to my own 450D.

Tripods vary wildly in price and quality but are generally interchangeable so you wouldn't need to get a 'Canon' tripod. Search this forum for my thread about ebay retailers and you could buy him a load of small and handy extras (batteries, shutter releases etc.) for next nothing and if he hasn't got one yet, probably the most vital accessory - a decent camera bag with room for extra lens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

here's a useful thread on tripods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 luic

hi lad

What lens or lenses does your bro have in his camera? I haven't used a tripod for years now. It depends on what kind of pictures you make and if you have light enough. In low light the diaphragm is kept open for a "long" time, and the picture can get blurred due to hand shake in which case a tripod is handy. But, all in all, if he only has the 18-55mm lenses, I think he will appreciate more to get a telephoto range lenses than a tripod. A tripod will be much cheaper though, and has its value. A reasonable telephoto lens seems to be the EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5,6 IS, according to some reviews (for example, see http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx) It should cost around 200something euros. You can also get the (much) cheaper equivalent from Tamron or Sigma, but then you have to have a look at the reviews (google for it); I don't know about the quality,issues of full compatibility and price of these ones. Good luck ! ;)

luic wrote: »
    A reasonable telephoto lens seems to be the EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5,6 IS, according to some reviews (for example, see http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx) It should cost around 200something euros.
    I got this lens in a kit deal with my 450D and while I'm a complete novice it seems quite good once it has decent light. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭the-lad

luic wrote: »
    hi lad

What lens or lenses does your bro have in his camera? I haven't used a tripod for years now. It depends on what kind of pictures you make and if you have light enough. In low light the diaphragm is kept open for a "long" time, and the picture can get blurred due to hand shake in which case a tripod is handy. But, all in all, if he only has the 18-55mm lenses, I think he will appreciate more to get a telephoto range lenses than a tripod. A tripod will be much cheaper though, and has its value. A reasonable telephoto lens seems to be the EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5,6 IS, according to some reviews (for example, see http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx) It should cost around 200something euros. You can also get the (much) cheaper equivalent from Tamron or Sigma, but then you have to have a look at the reviews (google for it); I don't know about the quality,issues of full compatibility and price of these ones. Good luck ! ;)

Ordered him this lens.
    Anyone know any good books or other stocking fillers i can also get him.
    Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bertie Bassett

'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson seems to be a popular book on these posts. I have just bought myself a copy (yesterday), so I haven't had a chance so read it yet, but it looks good and as I say there are a lot of very positive comments on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

the-lad wrote: »
    Thanks guys nice suggestions.
    Budget is about 250.
    I think he needs a tripod alright, do you have to get a canon one?
    Also where is good to get this gear?

Hi!

First time poster one this part of boards. I dont know a lot about cameras but i bought this for my girlfirends dad this week and it was posted to me from england in three days. from what i can see i saved about €200 on it and he has a top class service. Its a long lense that he has been looking for for ages. i paid €150 for it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EF-75-300mm-75-300-f-4-5-6-III-Lens-UK-seller_W0QQitemZ350140323624QQihZ022QQcategoryZ30070QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

is €475ish a good price for a 450D + 18-55mm lens from 7dayshop.com plus there is an additional €65 you can claim back from canon making it around the €425 delivered mark.
    If it is i'm thinking of getting it though doubt i'll be here before chrimbo.

Advertisement