Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Khyber Pass - Phoenix Park

Options
  • 10-12-2008 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Does anybody know why the Khyber Pass in the Phoenix Park is called that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I didn't know there was a Khyber Pass in the Phoenix Park. But I suspect that it may have something to do with the fact that thousands of Irishmen served with the British Army in India and so a knowledge of strategic points on the subcontinent, such as the pass separating what is now Pakistan from Afghanistan, would have been widespread among 19th century Dubliners.

Many of the named Irish regiments in the British Army, such as the Dublin and Munster Fusiliers, were formed by amalgamations of regiments with Indian names like the Bombay and Madras Fusiliers. The reason being of course that those regiments, which recruited from white men as opposed to native Indians, had large Irish contingents in them.

It remains a fact that the conflict for which most Victoria crosses were awarded to Irish born soldiers was the Indian Mutiny, not the First World War. Our contribution to Britain's colonial wars was much much greater than our contribution to the Great War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Just as Snickers Man said it was christened the Khyber Pass by soldiers who had served in that region who probably saw service with the Dublin Fusiliers.

For those of you who don't know where it is its that road that runs from Pope's cross area to the Magazine Fort.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Shutuplaura

How interesting - Is it the official name now? I presume it started as a nickname. British soldiers during the war of independance used to call Aungier Street the Dardenelles because it was narrow and dangerous to hang around too long in.

Advertisement