Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a camera please

Options
  • 10-12-2008 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Nikon D40 Digital SLR Camera - Black (18-55mm Lens Kit)

folks can any of you give me advice on this pls... seen one on ebay and thought i might buy it... sorry for being vague

paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its a grand beginner camera, but it is a bit old now so make sure its cheap. The only real downside to it is it does not have a built-in autofocus motor, so it relies on you using lenses that have their own motors if you want to AF. All Nikon AF-S lenses have built in motors. AF-D and older ones do not. Other brands like Sigma have lenses with built in lenses under different names (Sigma's is "HSM").

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

From what I hear they are a really good entry level DSLR.

The only concern is the lack of AF Motor in the body which can restrict the AF function on some lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Angelo Mercone

Hi Paddy,
    things are going very fast now and camera manufactors are contantly upgrading their products. The D40 it's an ok camera but it's already old. I would spend a little bit more and get at least a D60 or D90. I use nikon and I love it but until the release of the D90, D300, D700 and D3, there was a serious issue with digital noise even at not too high ISO.
    I hope this helps
    Angelo

Advertisement