Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few from the Weekend

Options
  • 10-12-2008 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

A few from the Weekend. One of the very few games that went ahead. Getting used of the new 300mm.

3094750023_d2c0cbc134.jpg?v=0

3094749305_b6b2898048.jpg?v=0

3094748233_4664a88212.jpg?v=0

3094747255_b1a561c583.jpg?v=0

3095595570_de7f9850e7.jpg?v=0

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Some really nice images. Great DOF with that lens too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

The expression on the jumping player in #4 is great.
    #2 is my fav though and the DOF is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Fairly routine stuff.
    I just think you're missing that "impact" shot, where the players are caught in a tackle.

#1 and #4 are along the right lines.
    Almost every team has at least one bruiser and it can sometimes be worth tracking him, just to capture a heavy tackle.

There are sports pictures that are fine for a report in a newspaper and there are sports pictures that people will want to hang on their wall.
    I think your shots fall into the first category.

Not having a go at you, fella.
    Just think you should be taking it up a level now that you've got the basics down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I like them all which is are, I reckon you got a pretty good lens by the looks of it, quality is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭OnLooker

City-Exile wrote: »
    Fairly routine stuff.
    I just think you're missing that "impact" shot, where the players are caught in a tackle.

#1 and #4 are along the right lines.
    Almost every team has at least one bruiser and it can sometimes be worth tracking him, just to capture a heavy tackle.

There are sports pictures that are fine for a report in a newspaper and there are sports pictures that people will want to hang on their wall.

Just think you should be taking it up a level now that you've got the basics down.

Only got there for the start of the second half as the game I was meant to cover was frozen off so I was under a bit of pressure to get enough usable shots for the paper report. I can see where you are coming from for definite.

I was only my third time out with the 300mm so didn't want to experiment too much.

• Advertisement

Try shooting games that you're not covering so.
    You will need to get used to the 300mm

Don't be afraid to fill the frame.
    You don't need a shot of someone from head to toe.
    If a player has the ball hands in his hands, a torso shot can be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

This is a full frame shot which was used.

2914809167_d53b2aeaf6.jpg

I normally keep shooting until the very last second and then switch to the 70-200.

Thanks for the example, Ken.
    When an image is printed small in the paper, it has little impact if the frame isn't full.
    OnLooker, don't be afraid to keep shooting, even when the action is on top of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

City-Exile wrote: »
    Fairly routine stuff.
    I

The OP has by your admission completed his brief which was to supply pictures for a match report, I know from expeirience that the jump to a
    300mm prime on a crop body takes a while to get used to.

Looking forward to seeing more of your pics onlooker!

The OP has by your admission completed his brief which was to supply pictures for a match report!

No one is denying that.
    I'm just trying to push him to get more from the new lens.

No point spending all that money, if you're going to stay at the level you were.
    I'm sure the OP knows that I'm offering the benefit of my experience. The advice I would have appreciated, when I was feeling my way around the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Well done Chris, I would like any of these for my wall, if I were the player!! My fav are 2, 4 & 5.
    Good post and good tips from Paul. I stop shooting when the action is on top of me also and do be annoyed when I open a magazine or paper and realize I should have kept shooting. Often the facial expression makes the sports photo. "The bruiser who has spotted the bate" With time pressure I find it hard to go to a match and take photos especially when my club are playing. But as I always say I will make time in the new season, and when I am half organised I will put some of mine up. Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

OnLooker wrote: »
    A few from the Weekend. One of the very few games that went ahead. Getting used of the new 300mm.

3095595570_de7f9850e7.jpg?v=0

this is a superb shot -- bravo fantastic bokeh -- they are almost 3D!

Covered the Dublin Minor Football Final last Saturday. Cracking game which ended in a draw. Nice sure if I got any bruiser shots but some good facial expressions.

3110256720_358312c719.jpg?v=0

3109423095_84cf9c875e.jpg?v=0

3110253996_0cb0d807ca.jpg?v=0

3110258172_717cba4cb9.jpg?v=0

3110258966_50cceece2a.jpg?v=0

3110262084_8187e65313.jpg?v=0

3109431449_f33cac045e.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

The background blur is so damn sexy on the 300mm 2.8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I've never taken Sports photography.... definately going to have a go now looking at these! What sort of settings are you using? Not sure if my camera would get anything like that DOF when zoomed in like that.

Good stuff there, OnLooker.
    Big improvement since last weekend.
    See how the action is so much more prominant.
    You've definitely made the right choice by shelling out for that lens, as you're going to make good use of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The background blur is so damn sexy on the 300mm 2.8.

Well worth buying that lens. Everyone should have one. :D
    gary82 wrote: »
    I've never taken Sports photography.... definately going to have a go now looking at these! What sort of settings are you using? Not sure if my camera would get anything like that DOF when zoomed in like that.

Gary - it's not nearly as easy as it seems. ;)

As for settings - you either want to set Aperture Priority (Av) and set to your fastest aperture (f/2.8 if possible), set to Shutter Priority (Tv) and set a shutter speed that is faster than 1/focal length to freeze the action, or set it to Manual (M) and then set to both a fast aperture and fast shutter speed.

It's more to do with the lens as to the DOF you get.

In the boards FAQ there's a section on sports photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Much better pics Chris.

Thanks lads. I am am getting used of the 300mm now. Just need to start combining it with the 70-200mm. Replay on next Saturday so will get another run-out before the xmas.

Look this photo. Love the expression on the lads face as he falls to the ground.

3110258966_50cceece2a.jpg?v=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosedale6

Wow really nice stunning photos there its almost 3D.

• Advertisement

Yeah, good expression alright.
    The entire set is an improvement.
    Hope the others who were having a go at me for being tough on you, can now see the potential I saw and was trying to get you to build on.

Consistency is the biggest thing, because then you know that you will get what you need, whenever you cover a game. Anything else is a bonus. You're certainly consistent anyway. We're building a nice little team of sports togs here. :)

Advertisement