Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter of the year

Options
  • 10-12-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Just thinking who would you give this ficticious award to?

Tom Egan for getting the UFC call up (you may say that's more 2009)
    Neil Seery for doing a rampage through the BM division?
    Gary Morris or Conor McGregor for a series of highly exciting fights?

Any other contenders?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Ais the Bash 7-0, dont know how many are 2008 though. 4 or 5 i would think

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

Bruce Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Ais The Bash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

It's a toss up for me between Neil Seery and Ais. On reflection I'd probably cheat and split a national and international fighter of the year!

For national level, Neil is the most improved fighter around. He's taken the EFR title, and been involved in some awesome matches. Only his injury during the Lovbrand match has put the brakes on a great year for him. Some great talent at bantam now overall so to be at the top of that pile is great for Neil.

INternationally I'd give it to Ais though on the basis that she's broken a lot of new ground for female MMA and has been on a televised card on Europe's biggest show. My only worry for her is that she won't get the opportunities her skills deserve. Lack of opponents and now lack of a suitable international showcase might be the only things that hold her back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Roper wrote: »
    It's a toss up for me between Neil Seery and Ais. On reflection I'd probably cheat and split a national and international fighter of the year!

For national level, Neil is the most improved fighter around. He's taken the EFR title, and been involved in some awesome matches. Only his injury during the Lovbrand match has put the brakes on a great year for him. Some great talent at bantam now overall so to be at the top of that pile is great for Neil.

INternationally I'd give it to Ais though on the basis that she's broken a lot of new ground for female MMA and has been on a televised card on Europe's biggest show. My only worry for her is that she won't get the opportunities her skills deserve. Lack of opponents and now lack of a suitable international showcase might be the only things that hold her back.

Agree with all this..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Is this ficticious award restricted to Irish fighters :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Yes otherwise we'd just discuss GSP and silva instead..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

rovert wrote: »
    Is this ficticious award restricted to Irish fighters :confused:

Ficticious award indeed. This is the Ballon D'or of the MMA world :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

cowzerp wrote: »
    Yes otherwise we'd just discuss GSP and silva instead..

Or Brock for his impact on the sport....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Very tough to choose this year for me.
    With the massive growth in the sport over the last Twelve months many new fighters have taken the Pro scene by storm. Not all have perfect records but didnt someone wise once say "records are for DJ`S"?

Some of my Top contenders.

Tom Egan, Niel Seery and Ais first of all for obvious reasons.

Gary "The Dumptruck" Morris- RUSH:
    Top contender for me, fought loads of fights. Never seems to say no even when hes offered fights with some of the best in the country ie. McCombe, Young, Murphy. Always good to watch.

Darren Hughes - EFRFT/SI:
    Very underrated fighter. Often overlooked. Looking forward to seeing him fight again this Saturday. Has wins over Martin Begley,Graham Turner and Swedish Top Team Fighter Hamid Corassani this year 3 very tough opponents and also drew with Alan Hannon.

Some outsiders ive just enjoyed watching.
    Declin Larkin EFR, Damien Rooney Dog Pound, Ben Davis PBS, Ryan Roddy SI, Conor McGreagor SBG, Tim McCrory Kyojin, Dave Kelly Ryano, Emmet McNally SI, Tim Murphy PBS.

Like i said lots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Marty Mc

Very underrated fighter. Often overlooked. Looking forward to seeing him fight again this Saturday. Has wins over Martin Begley,Graham Turner and Swedish Top Team Fighter Hamid Corassani this year 3 very tough opponents and also drew with Alan Hannon.

Ryan Roddy SI, Emmet McNally SI, Tim Murphy PBS.

Agreed..

Taking nothing away from Tom and neils achievements..sensational and fantastic fighters who have achieved alot this year..plus i have had the honour of seeing both guys fight..;)

But there are some top quality fighters out there who performed really well this year also -

I cannot remember the last time that i seen or heard of Emmet mc nally, tim murhpy or darren hughes being beaten in competition anytime recently. They are without doubt in a very rich vein of form and are excellent fighters.

What about greg loughran?...although he has been quiet over the last wee wile he surely deserves to be in the mix as he broke new ground by going to the u.s on a weeks notice and got the win over a highly rated opponnent.He had 4 pro fights between March and july last year against top class opponents and won three. Very creditable. Surely he deserves a mention?

As for ryan roddy, he is unbeaten in mma competition...i believe that he is 4-0 or 5-0? Without doubt imho, the best young fighter of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

has to be Tom, getting signed for the ufc bein undefeated and over coming yet another broken hand, cant ask more than that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

has to be Tom, getting signed for the ufc bein undefeated and over coming yet another broken hand, cant ask more than that:D

yip, fully agree on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭crokester

Just thought id let ye boys know about another Irish man that not many people would have heard about back here.

Denis Kelly from Donegal fought over in the UK for some time and was due to fight Abdul Mohamed for the Cage Rage LW some years back but withdrew for family reasons. He also fought UFC veteran Dave Lee (it was that fight that got Lee the contract).

In Feb of next year Denis has a fight against Adrian Pang, who has fights in Japan and is a big force in Ozzy MMA. Denis now fights out of Melbourne where he trains a small fight team.

Just thaught id let people here now about him as he wouldnt be well known over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Elite Strength

Has anyone seen the magazine "fighters only" slagging off owen roddy for getthing one nomination in 3 different catagories, i think fighter of the year, european fighter of the year and best something else category. They put him in a mothers favourite category suggesting that his mum must have but him up, a bit rude i thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Has anyone seen the magazine "fighters only" slagging off owen roddy for getthing one nomination in 3 different catagories, i think fighter of the year, european fighter of the year and best something else category. They put him in a mothers favourite category suggesting that his mum must have but him up, a bit rude i thought.

i took it as very light hearted, all press is good press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HOBO 83

Shane T for having arms that can pop out of their sockets and back in without any sort of pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭mmaireland.com

HOBO 83 wrote: »
    Shane T for having arms that can pop out of their sockets and back in without any sort of pain.
    I'm sure I'll regret asking... ...but... ...what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sonoflife

Personally Gary Morris is my fighter of the year!...Because as u said he had about 11 fights an faught the best in the country!...But anyone who steps into the Cage or Ring wid Respect 2 his opponent deserves credit!
    Very tough to choose this year for me.
    With the massive growth in the sport over the last Twelve months many new fighters have taken the Pro scene by storm. Not all have perfect records but didnt someone wise once say "records are for DJ`S"?

Some of my Top contenders.

Tom Egan, Niel Seery and Ais first of all for obvious reasons.

Gary "The Dumptruck" Morris- RUSH:
    Top contender for me, fought loads of fights. Never seems to say no even when hes offered fights with some of the best in the country ie. McCombe, Young, Murphy. Always good to watch.

Declin Larkin EFR, Damien Rooney Dog Pound, Ben Davis PBS, Ryan Roddy SI, Conor McGreagor SBG, Tim McCrory Kyojin, Dave Kelly Ryano, Emmet McNally SI, Tim Murphy PBS.

Like i said lots.

Advertisement