Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about subbing in my school

Options
  • 10-12-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

For September and October in my school i was teaching history and geography for a number of hours a week. This was only a short term job and since then I have been subbing in the same school quite frequently. However in recent weeks i have been getting very few hours, while another person doing subbing in there is in every single day. The thing that annoys me is the fact that i have a HDip while he doesn't. I was willing to accept this until December 1st as he was looking for as many hours as possible for his hdip application, but at this stage i feel quite angry. Should i not be ahead of this person on the simple fact that i have a Hdip and am a fully qualified teacher?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Last year I was one of the teachers in our school with responsibility for assigning 'deputy' teachers to classes. I can honestly say I have no idea what any of their qualifications were or were not. I generally went on who showed up quickly when contacted at short notice, who was already familiar with a class and people who had helped me out of a hole in the past.

There was a particular hierarchy that had to be followed in assigning classes, but that was to do with the S&S scheme, not part-time deputies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 carl-sagan

for those days you dont work are you claiming unemployment benefit? i too have been in a similair situation, it seems very political at times...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

carl-sagan wrote: »
    for those days you dont work are you claiming unemployment benefit? i too have been in a similair situation, it seems very political at times...

It strikes me as very political anyway. The guy without the HDip who is getting most of the hours is very close to the assistant principal who decides the hours for subbing and the two are quite close friends. I am on unemplyment benefit yeah, in the last 3 weeks i have had only a couple of days teaching so i need something as a back up source of income. Heaven knows what i am going to do come january:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Maynoothrules:

'However in recent weeks i have been getting very few hours, while another person doing subbing in there is in every single day. The thing that annoys me is the fact that i have a HDip while he doesn't.'

I know this might sound bad but as somebody without a PGDE I have advertised this fact to principals- e.g. in these recessionary times, it would be cheaper to hire me. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. ;-)

Spurious:

'Last year I was one of the teachers in our school with responsibility for assigning 'deputy' teachers to classes. I can honestly say I have no idea what any of their qualifications were or were not. I generally went on who showed up quickly when contacted at short notice, who was already familiar with a class and people who had helped me out of a hole in the past.'

Very interesting criteria. My (very limited) experience so far would seem to agree with it. I was contacted this morning and asked could I make it in by 9.40am. I said I could, and she gave me 8 classes when I came in. She then asked me in for 10am tomorrow as well. In fact, the first time she rang me, her first question was: 'How free are you; could you come in on, say, an hour's notice?'

Advertisement