Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic & In cavity insulation

Options
  • 10-12-2008 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Once again this year I've left it too late to do anything about this, but we really need to get our attic insulated, I'd also like to get the cavity wall (at least I think it's a cavity wall) done as well as our house seems to be constantly cold.

It's a 30 year old block semi D. Our previous house was a new build timberframe that was unbelievably warm & cost very little to heat. I'd really like to recapture some of that if I could :D

Any ideas how much I'd be looking at to get it done ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,882 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Prices will vary depending on the product used, where you are located and who you get. Attic would normally be done with fibregalss or rockwool. The jury is still out on the "pumped in" full cavity insulation. If you wanted to play it safe you should consider external or internal insulation as opposed to insulating the cavity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

There are a number of great deals on attic insulation at a number of DIY chains and Insulation Suppliers.

Check them out and try to achieve an overall depth of 300mm of fibre glass in your attic - it will make a vast improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

RKQ wrote: »
    There are a number of great deals on attic insulation at a number of DIY chains and Insulation Suppliers.

Check them out and try to achieve an overall depth of 300mm of fibre glass in your attic - it will make a vast improvement.

Can you be more specific as to what deals look good to you ?

Or PM me if you think that more appropiate.

Some relatives have been asking me about their insulation & I recommended they do some work on their attic & improve some of their external doors.

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Two rolls for the price of one = €13 per roll while other is selling own brand rolls for €13 while other has a special on Moy insulation.

Seen ad in paper for Insulation distributer, selling rolls for €19 each, Cash sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Has anyone got any new 'bargain alerts' for rolls of insulation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

I got B & Q branded 200mm thick, 5.4 mtrs squared, made by Knauff rolls of insulation for €13 each about 3 weeks ago.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chrisinwestcork

hello just to say we got the cavity pumped with the bonded beads about 3 weeks ago and a perfect job,the heat retained in the house is very good as is the temp difference from room to room(half way up the stairs u could feel the temp difference,but now all seem warm) the only thing i have to complain about is we didnt get it done years ago!! its a two story,12 yo house with 50 mm insulation boards in the cavity and the price was 1400 euro.very good price for the results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 332i

Hi chrisinwestcork,

I'm thinking of getting the pump'd cavitey insulation also, can you mention or pm who carried out the work for you.

What are the general views on pump'd cavitey insulation alone in new builds

Cheers.

332i wrote: »
    Hi chrisinwestcork,

I'm thinking of getting the pump'd cavitey insulation also, can you mention or pm who carried out the work for you.

hi 332i, could u pm me an email so i can send u the name and number as i dont have 25 or more posts so cant pm u!!
    thanx chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 332i

Chris,

pm sent.

cheers,
    Pat.

• Advertisement

hey pat did u have any joy with the number i gave u???

Advertisement