Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High end Bridge vs. entry level DSLR

Options
  • 10-12-2008 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Can someone explain in laymans terms the main differences between a high end Bridge camera and an entry level DSLR-
    I know with Bridge you can't change lens, ISO quality isn't as good on high settings, you get a very powerful zoom.
    What would other differences be and why should I go for one rather than the other? I like photography, here's some of my favs

I have another thread- was originally looking for DSLR (possible the Canon EOS 1000D) but a few people recomended bridge cameras instead (thinking of Olympis 420, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18, Canon PowerShot SX10 IS etc).

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The quality of lens in the bridge isn't always the best, especially with such a zoom. As you said, ISO/noise is poor on the majority of bridges in comparison to some DSLR's - Look at the Nikon D60 for example!

If you're interested in photography to the point that you don't mind splashing out on gear once or a few times a year, I'd go for the DSLR - if you're not that sure yet, and just want to test the water, I'd give the bridge a go.

The bridge cameras are usually quite a bit lighter and more compact than a DSLR which may be of benefit if you're travelling a lot.

Also, with bridge cameras, you're looking at an LCD screen to see what you're taking, rather than with an SLR, you're looking exactly at what you're taking - Which can be a hell of a lot handier than the LCD, the quality can often be poor in low light.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That's my major problem with bridge cameras too: Electronic viewfinders. Then there's also the issue of shutter lag. I haven't used a bridge in a while so that may have improved over the last couple of years. They are convenient in that you won't ever have to worry about cleaning the sensor or lugging around as much kit but I couldn't go back to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Not going to repeat what Fajitas! said, as it's what I was going to say.

The only thing I will add is that with a Bridge you have a bit less expenditure to get in there & start to get a feel for what YOU want to do in Photography. Sure there are limitations to the Bridge Cameras, but then there are limitations to all cameras & everything is about compromise. Using a Bridge will allow you to concentrate more on your composition & getting used to working with the limitations you have. When you get to a stage where those limits are a real hinderence, then you will also know a hell of a lot more about Photography & be in a position to pick the system that is best suited to your style & needs. By then there will be a new generation of gear out there & we will be saying that the current crop were good for their time etc.

The other point is that, as said above, the Bridge or High end Compacts are nice & small. You will find that lugging around a DSLR, a couple of lenses, Filters, Spare Batteries, Yadda yadda yadda .... can be quite a load. You will still have the option of your old faithful Bridge to take out when you want to travel light.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Mind made up-I'm going with the Canon SX10 is. Bought it today from camerabox.co.uk for £220 (with £30 cash back), great value-pixmania charge about 340 and €429 in bricks and mortar store in town!

Advertisement