Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prefix before German name

Options
  • 10-12-2008 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone know what i. A. means when its directly before a German person's name? I think it may be some technical or computer related title but I'm not sure.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

i. A. is im Auftrag.
    Before a name it would mean something like regarding Mr. Bloggs, as per Mr. Bloggs, or Herr Bloggs, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Yeah, it's im Auftrag. It's the same as pp. in English/Latin.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

An Citeog wrote: »
    Yeah, it's im Auftrag. It's the same as pp. in English/Latin.

Ah, so possibly signed on behalf of someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Ah, so possibly signed on behalf of someone?

Yeah, that's the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

An Citeog wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the one!

Good stuff, appreciate the help, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It actually has legal implications in German business law.

i.A means "im Auftrag" or "as ordered". Someone signs something because their boss told them to do so (an order / order confirmation /invoice). The legal partner for the signed document however is not the signee, but the owner of the business or the "Prokurist"

pp means "per prokura" ...pretty much same as the above, except that for someone having "Prokura" / being a "Prokurist" actually endows them with quite some legal power in regards of running the business. Legally they are empowered to do pretty much everything with the business short of selling it.

Only the legal owner of the business can sign (legal) documents with their name only.

So a German business document like an invoice/order/ order confirmation
    usually always carries "i.A." before the signature, for a large order/invoice it may be the "pp".

Having said that ...some companies are very lax about this and let everybody just sign with their name regardless of who they are

Advertisement