Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo Lift Pump! Can I install????

Options
  • 10-12-2008 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all,

After stopping on the road after 5-6miles (twice) the garage (Ford) have recommended starting with the lift pump (they checked fuel/filter etc).. I said ok, how much, €650+vat. . . i was wow. right.. . ok . . . . then he said yeah its a dear part, I said that doesn't include labour? he said no no, that's just for the pump.

So been the net wizz, i sourced one online for €160 delivered new.

Question,
    Can i install this myself, reading on the net and looking at the Haynes book it seems possible. Any thing that doesn't include a PC/resetting codes etc.... is possible to me.

Any tips if i was to under take this myself???

The car is 01 Mondeo 2.0 TDI Zetec
    120K miles on clock.

Problem: 5-7 miles after starting, the car starts to fail(engine starts pulling down, which in turn starts to stop the car as your rev counter falls) it will get worse and you will drop down the gears until you cant even touch the accelerator. then it will cut out.

Thanks for all

LNB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

It's absolutely no big issue to change the lift pump. What I'd be more concerned about is the diagnosis approach in this case, it doesn't sound very waterproof to be honest... Did they diagnose this properly or just suggest that they start by changing the lift pump???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MrLNB

Well this is it,

I had the experience yet I was told the first time "bit of contamination in the diesel, changed the filter". then I drove it for about 5 miles and same thing happened. brought it back to ford. he stuck it on the diag, nothing showed (but i have read that it doesn't necessarily show up). Then he told me he took it for a 10 mile spin, yet when i took it from the garage this evening, there was only 6 miles done since the last battery disconnection. I got about 5-6 on the recent journey.

I took it off there hands this evening, and yes i got it home 5-6 miles without the problem recurring. So. I have ordered a pump. but what i will do first is drive it for about 50 miles locally, and if it happens again ill change the lift pump. and if it doesn't well what can you do, just drive on. . .

is this not a common problem. Id thought id get more answers to this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

My exact problem tbh, I've a Mondeo in with main Ford dealer and they reckon fuel pump :rolleyes:

Pain in the arse but the only way I can justify getting it done is that well at least it'll be another 100k miles before it goes again.

Savman wrote: »
    My exact problem tbh, I've a Mondeo in with main Ford dealer and they reckon fuel pump :rolleyes:

Pain in the arse but the only way I can justify getting it done is that well at least it'll be another 100k miles before it goes again.

they quoted me 650+vat for part and then dump labour on that.

I just bought the same part from the uk for €160 delivered and all.

came yesterday. from reading around im going to give this a shot my self tomorrow.

the cost of the part is ridiculous, i have it here now and its no bigger than a babys milk bottle.

Ill keep you posted on how i get on.

from what i have read

1. take off back right wheel
    2. undo nuts holding wind deflector below pump.
    3. disconnect power to pump. (post and negative) (small connetions)
    4. disconnect the fuel lines.
    5. undo retaining nuts for pump holder and slip out the pump.

put new pump in with the same instructions in reverse.

I hope this is something similar to what ill expect tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Luckily mine just turned out to be damaged wiring so thankfully no fuel pump failure yet...I'm back on the road :)

Good luck getting yours sorted.

Advertisement