Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea Pigs

Options
  • 09-12-2008 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭

I've had a guinea pig for the last year now, he doesnt have a another guinea pig in the hutch with him. Do guinea pigs need companions?

Anyone with guinea pig knowledge?

His name's Rocky Balboa!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Guinea pigs generally do better with a friend, as their very social animals. I've kept piggies for ages and also petsit. If you have time, space, money for another pig then go for it. Though be warned not all piggies get on. Personally, I don't like to keep one on it's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

guinea pigs are animals that are better off kept in groups. It is generally better to keep them in groups

Although Im guessing your guinea pig is an unneutered male (correct me if im wrong). you are better off keeping him along as once male guinea pigs are sexually mature fights usually start. and to indroduce a younger male now would be asking for trouble, and a female will mean loads of babies.

Once he gets alot of attention off you and has something in his cage to keep him occupied and happy then he himself should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Guineapigs should always be kept in pairs, neutered males can be kept with one or more females.

Not all guinepigs that are introduced at a later date fight as they mature it all depends on introductions, age e.g. two baby males from the same litter.

In your case I presume he's a he, if he is a young healthy guineapig and you have a really experienced small animal vet the I would advise getting him neutered, after 5 to 6 weeks (once hormones have died down) it is possible to introduce him gradually on neuteral territory to a female.
    It might take a while or they could get on within a few hours, but if you go down this road it's important to do a bit more research on inroductions etc visit sites like barmy4boars and theguineapigforum.

If he is in a hutch outside alone at the moment then you must move the hutch into a shed for the winter or if that's not possible into the most sheltered spot in the garden and use a blue tarp or a hutch hugger to cover it esp. at night. Esp. as he hasn't another guineapig to snuggle up to for warmth. Do ensure his bedding is changed at least once a day at this time of year, and I mean all of it because damp bedding will freeze.
    Bubble wrap might work on the outside of the hutch out of nibbling reach to help insulate it a bit.

If you feel he is happy in himself and you can't have him neutered it's important that you spend as much time as possible with him, if he is a garden pig the I'm not sure how possible this is because of the dark evenings and cold weather bringing him into the house during the day won't be good for him as the constant change in temperature isn't healthy for pigs.

Whatever happend don't get a rabbit as a companion for the pig.

I might sound controversial here but I don't mind because guineapigs welfare to me is very important, please people if it is at all possible never leave guineapigs outside in winter esp. at night a fine warm bright day is fine and ok some pigs are weathered but the temperature can drop and guineapigs do best in a warm and dry environment. Dampness can lead to fungal problems and respiratory problems. I understand not everyone can keep their pigs indoors in winter but if at all possible please do and if not move them into a shed for extra protection or use something like a hutch hugger.

Every year so many people pop into their garden to find their rabbit or guinea dead in the hutch and wonder why esp. when it's a young healthy animal they are more delicate than people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

guineapigrescue, I think making long, well informed posts like that are good, especially to get the message around. As many people do not know how to care for small animals properly. Can I just add everything about gps out in winter applies to rabbits too.

Advertisement