Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie questions

Options
  • 09-12-2008 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

OK - I have had a read through the forum and have been considering a move from windows for a while. Currently run XP and usual office stuff along with Skype. I am not an IT expert so don't know everything, all help appreciated.

I am considering buying a Toshiba NB100 with Ubuntu 8.04 for travel etc and as a backup to my current config. The plan being to see how I get on with and also as a lighter travel machine. Plus it would help me get familiar with Linux and see if I want to move more machines to Linux and phase it in as we upgrade in the future.

Questions
    Is that machine a good configuration to do what I need?
    Should I get 1GB of memory as opposed to the 512MB or will I notice much of a difference with Linux anyway?
    Should I get something with a solid state drive rather than traditional HDD (for reliabilty and battery life)?
    When looking for software to download, is Ubuntu a standard version of linux as there are lots listed on the OO.o site or will it work with any version that says linux?
    I usually access our server (Windows small business 2003) with remote desktop software to pull files, check accounts, logins etc - will I still be able to do this and if so what is a good program to use?
    Am I stuck with windows for iTunes?
    Should I install Wine to run things like iTunes, Google Sketchup and other non Linux programs?

Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

martin1016 wrote: »
    Is that machine a good configuration to do what I need?
    Should be fine - won't break any speed records, but should be very usable.
    Should I get 1GB of memory as opposed to the 512MB or will I notice much of a difference with Linux anyway?
    More RAM is always a plus, but Ubuntu should run fine in 512M.
    When looking for software to download, is Ubuntu a standard version of linux as there are lots listed on the OO.o site or will it work with any version that says linux?
    Ubuntu has a built-in package manager that downloads and installs a huge range of software for you, already packaged up and ready to run. If you need software that's not pre-packaged for Ubuntu, it's still one of the standard versions of Linux, so should be OK. There's still a fair bit of software out there that assumes RedHat or similar, but even then it can usually be coerced into working.
    I usually access our server (Windows small business 2003) with remote desktop software to pull files, check accounts, logins etc - will I still be able to do this and if so what is a good program to use?
    rdesktop is available for Ubuntu, and may even be installed by default as "Remote Desktop Viewer". I have it on here, but I can't remember if I explicitly installed it.
    Am I stuck with windows for iTunes?
    Should I install Wine to run things like iTunes, Google Sketchup and other non Linux programs?
    Most Linux users swear by Amarok for music organisation and playing. If you need iTunes to access the Apple music store, it might run under Wine - I honestly don't know. I've had varying degrees of success with Windows apps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

oscarBravo has answered just about all points, but I would just add I'm pretty sure (though don't use) amarok is now integrated with iTunes music store now.
    I use amarok a lot myself and particularly like last.fm to generated suggested tracks and in effected create random tracks from your collection based your initial track selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

Thanks for the replies, will probably go ahead with it and see how we can get on it with it. I have been offered the Tosh at a better price than on that site and will see about the 1GB option.

Thanks again

OK - just order Ubuntu and upgradeed to 1GB for 18 yo yo's.

I also have one other question that I forgot to ask, what email client would you recommend and how hopeful should I be about syncing my phones directly to it which I do very often.

Main business phone - SE p990i
    Private - Nokia E51
    Both are sync'd every couple of days for contacts, appointments etc. It suits me to have all contacts etc in all locations.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Thunderbird or Evolution - I use Evo on the desktop and like it a lot.

For syncing, I have a WM6 smartphone and rather than go through the pain and suffering of trying to get it talking to my desktop, I use ScheduleWorld - it's been a godsend for syncing contacts and calendars.

• Advertisement

Thanks - will look at schedule world.

The Tosh has arrived - nice, tidy machine, the box that the memory arrived in would hold about 8 of the machines. Screen is very sharp, feels very solid for such a small unit but time will tell. Have yet to install said memory. The only minor gripe so far is that the mouse buttons are very close to the touch pad so will need to be careful with my fat fingers. No big deal.

First impressions as a Ubuntu newbie:-
    Like it, very clean and simple so far
    No problems connecting to our wirless network - found settings easy
    Just updated so that its all current - system shipped with 100 day old stuff so figured I would get everything current before I started.
    Reboot and log on - all looking good.

More later - like a kid with a new toy :D

Advertisement