Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI radeon 4850 question

Options
  • 09-12-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

hi all,

just bought a studio xps with the above graphics card and am having trouble with the hdmi adaptor, it carries sound so have it hooked up to my lcd through a normal hdmi cable.

the problem is it works sometimes and doesn't others.

when i go into audio devices it tells me everything is fine with the dvi output but i get no sound.. there are other options such as speakers and optical out but when i click on these nothing happens either.

i then reboot and click on a program to test and everything is fine.

i also have the intermitant problem that when it finally is playing sound to the tv it won't allow me to plug in earphones ( when i do it just keeps playing through the tv)

it is very annoying and its only a new computer so im getiting p'd off dealing with it.

is it the card or the computer or even the tv screwing it all up?
    even a link to somewhere that will give me more info would be great as im not that technical when it comes to computers and i can't ring dell cause it only happens sometimes.

thats just a suummary of what happens, if anyone thinks they can help i should be able to give more detail.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Here's your problem, when you are using ATI cards to output sound over HDMI, that is the only sound output that will work. No headphones, speakers, nothing. Its a separate device from the internal soundcard and Windows will only allow one at a time.

To change from one to the other, you need to go into control panel--> sound

And choose the Ati card output and make it the default device.

If you have done this, and the TV is still cutting out at times you really need to consider if its a problem with HMDI audio input on the TV or the card? Replacing the card may just lead to you finding out your TV's broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

Here's your problem, when you are using ATI cards to output sound over HDMI, that is the only sound output that will work. No headphones, speakers, nothing. Its a separate device from the internal soundcard and Windows will only allow one at a time.

To change from one to the other, you need to go into control panel--> sound

And choose the Ati card output and make it the default device.

If you have done this, and the TV is still cutting out at times you really need to consider if its a problem with HMDI audio input on the TV or the card? Replacing the card may just lead to you finding out your TV's broken.

ahh.. see told you i wasn't that good with computers.. although i have choosen it as the default loads of times but it doesn't help " there are other outputs but when i click them they do nothing"

might see if i can get the comp hooked up to the home cinema system and bypass the problem.

cheers for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you can also right click on the volume icon and choose playback devices to get there faster.

Advertisement