Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check ups after Laser Eye Surgery

Options
  • 09-12-2008 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I got laser eye surgery done 2 and a half years ago. I had to get one enhanced 6 months later (ie 2 years ago). I've had at least one if not two check ups since then and all is fine. I got a 'you are due an appointment' card from them the other day, so rang up to make an appointment. I was informed that this appointment would cost me €65. So my question is, were other people who had this surgery, with no hiccups, still going for check ups two years later? And if I don't go, and something goes wrong in years to come, can they throw it back at me 'you didn't come for that check up'. I'm sure if anything went wrong in the future, I'd have to pay to have it corrected at this stage anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

You should still be going for regular eye check ups just the same as a person should who never had laser eye surgery.
    Look at it like this, if you never had a filling done would it stop you going for future dental checks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭frecklier

No. But if I had had perfect vision all by life, I wouldn't say I'd have ever stepped inside an opticians. I don't think people who have perfect vision ever go to opticians, until their sight starts causing problems. So what I'm asking is whether, having had laser treatment, I need to continue having regular check-ups. Or do I not wait until it starts to cause problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

They recoomend you still should go. Any decent optician don't just test your eye sight, they're testing the actual health of the eye for alot of different conditions. If people, particularly older people, only go to an opticians when they start having problems with their sight conditions like glaucoma may have already set in. Whereas with regular check ups, every year or so, this can be detected early and prevented. As they say, prevention is better than cure.
    I doubt I'll be going msyelf every year but I'll try at least once every 2 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eye surgeon

Most Laser eye Surgeons provide free aftercare for a year after treatment.This is included in the cost of surgery. Thereafter it is only reasonable to charge a small fee for a consultation.It is sensible to see an ophthalmologist or the original surgeon if you have any future problems or complaints but if you are not complaining of anything there may be no need.I got a fee from a plumber last week for €150 for looking at a washing machine ---do you feel €65 is too much for examining your eyes ?

Advertisement