Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a refund on vouchers

Options
  • 09-12-2008 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend bought vouchers for the wrong shop last week. She brought them back with the receipt and the shop will not refund her.

Does anyone know if that's allowed or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Of course it's allowed. Why wouldn't it be?

She's only entitled to a refund if there is a fault with the item purchased.

It's crap customer service, definitely. But then that's what we tolerate in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I didn't think they were allowed to do that... I knew if you bought anything n the internet and changed your mind within 8 days you could return it with no questions asked.

Anyway, for anyone interested, River Islands policy is to not let you bring back vouchers.

Vouchers are such a rip... slightly OT but did you know that €100 one4all vouchers cost €103.50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I've yet to find any shop that will let you return vouchers. Why single out River Island? It's not their fault she changed her mind.

Did you read the post? It's not like we did a survey and found that a number of shops didn't and then single River Island out.

They were singled out because they're the shop in question.

Also, I said "for anyone who's interested" i.e. if you're not interested ...

Anyway, IMO, if a product is returned unopened/untouched with a receipt and within a reasonable timeframe then the retailer should refund. I don't care whether they're obliged by law or not - it's the right thing to do as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I knew if you bought anything n the internet and changed your mind within 8 days you could return it with no questions asked.
    That's under distance selling regulations and only applies to transactions where the item to be bought is not available to be inspected by the buyer prior to purchase (i.e. anything that has to be delivered). It's to allow for cases where the item purchased wasn't what you thought it was going to be because you couldn't see it in the flesh.

I would imagine the vast majority of shops have a "no refunds" policy on vouchers. If you got a manager and kicked up enough of a stink, they'll refund you to get rid of you.

• Advertisement

Thanks Seamus. She wouldn't go kicking up a stink about it - it's not a big deal - she just won't be getting any again.

I was just a bit surprised and was wondering about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Anyway, IMO, if a product is returned unopened/untouched with a receipt and within a reasonable timeframe then the retailer should refund. I don't care whether they're obliged by law or not - it's the right thing to do as far as I'm concerned.

It is good customer service all right, and the decent thing to do, as people can often buy the wrong thing for a multitude of reasons. Being able to return an item means you're likely to come back to that shop in the future, and returning customers is something most retailers would value, even if they've made no money on this particular occasion. Without a law forcing the retailer though, they're free to do as they choose.

If you look at it from your perspective, River Island have just lost a customer, when they could have very easily remedied the situation, without it costing them anything at all. That's not something any retailer, especially given current economic conditions, should be doing.

Advertisement