Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for buying 2nd hand- budget €350 approx

Options
  • 09-12-2008 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a novice photographer, take photos with a Sony Cybershot or Sony Ericsson K810i. Recently I borrowed a Canon EOS 300D from a friend and now want to buy a digital SLR myself so can play around with apeture, focus etc.

I'm looking at 2nd hand cameras, budget max €350 approx. I'd like an easy to use camera....

Sunday Times Bench Test have a good article here, 2 of the cameras here could be in budget range- Pentax K-M and Canon EOS 1000D

I've looked at Adverts.ie and Ebay etc so far. Adverts seems to be cheaper than Ebay.
    Ideally I'd like a camera with standard lens and a good zoom but am willing to buy the zoom later if budget restraints demand so.

1. Anyone recommend a camera to me and why?
    2. Any recommended sites for buying 2nd hand cameras.
    3. Any other advice?

I'm living in Galway but would travel to meet, view, buy camera. I konw I'd have to check it out, play with it before buying.
    Here's a sample of some of my
    Flickr favourite set to give you an idea of my 'skills'.

Here are some that I've been looking at (online, will go into a store this weekend)-Sony Alpha DSLR-A100, Canon EOS 1000D(stuff best cam), Pentax K-M, Nikon D60(expensive?), Olympus E-410(easy to use), Canon Powershot S3 IS

Update-
    Now I'm 1/2 thinknig of getting a good bridge camera instead- something like Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18, Canon PowerShot SX10 IS or Casio Exilim Pro EX-FH20. Cheaper, smaller etc. Going to call into a store and play with both types...

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Hi Pa,
    I was in the same postion earlier this year, after years of using point and shoots a friend loaned me his DSLR for a couple of hours on holiday. I did a bit of a root around on the web and eventually purchased an older but immaculate Nikon D70.

Most folks here would advise you to stick either Nikon or Canon, mainly as theres a large market in secondhand lenses and other accessories, a camera such as a D50,D70 or D80 has an inbody focus motor which means you can utilise older lenses (those without a focusing motor in the lens).

Keep an eye on adverts.ie.
    NJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Canon 1000D is my recommendation.

For the price it's very hard to beat. Played around with one for a while lately and compares very well with my 40D, which is much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

NJ Burke-
    Would you be happy with your DSLR instead of a 'bridge' camera, something like Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18, Canon PowerShot SX10 IS, Casio Exilim Pro EX-FH20 etc.

Some people have said to me that the aboves have great features, zooms etc. at lower costs and size.

I've got a lot of info to chew on- going to call into a store and play with some DSLRS and bridge cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Bought a Canon 1000D in Jessops in Newry a couple of weeks back (before the rush!!)

£330 = €380, £20 Jessops voucher included and £30 cashback from Canon yet to come.

That's a brand spanking new DSLR for pretty close to your €350 budget.

EDIT - see they're down to £323 now, so that's another €10 off!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You might well find a Canon 400D for under your budget second hand and while it's been replaced by the 450D recently, it's still a very good beginner dSLR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Hi Pa.
    You seem to be going through the agony of choice.
    I've used a bridge camera before ,a fuji S5700 but they seem too much of a compromise, smaller than a DSLR but still not small enough to fit in a shirt pocket.
    If you suspect that you'll develop anything more than a passing interest in photography, then a DSLR is the way to go.

NJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

for peace of mind just get a 1000d as mentioned above , can always upgrade to 40d in the future if you really feel the need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭WexfordMusings

Hi Pa,

If you havnt made up your mind yet, think about a bridge camera. Spend lots less money and still enjoy yourself. i have a Fuji S9600 and its fab. i got it a year ago and am really getting into manual modes now. For more info on Bridge Cameras check out my previous post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055142074&highlight=wexfordmusings.

You should easily get one now for about €300 leaving you money to get extra memory and would defo recommend getting some good rechargable batteries. i picked up a fast charger and set of batteries ( 4 x 2500 mah) for €30 last week that will fully recharge in the car in an hour or so, so as your driving from one place to the next recharge your batteries!

J

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

thanks for the advice!
    Mind made up-I'm going with the Canon SX10 is. Bought it today from camerabox.co.uk for £220 (with £30 cash back), great value-pixmania charge about 340 and €429 in bricks and mortar store in town!

Advertisement