Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner surfboard! HELP

Options
  • 09-12-2008 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

I am around 5'9" of quite a large build, 11stone. I have tried surfin a few times now and I wanna get my own board, not one of those yellow foam ones! Something between 7-8ft was recccomended, but make sure price is as low as possible. Also, new or second-hand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

dont know where u live but if i were you i would call in to tubes surf shop in cork and limerick they do surf packages board suit bag leash wax booties for €500. even if its to expensive they will tell u what sort board is rite for you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

If you're more north... check out these guys in Bundoran...
    http://www.surfworldireland.com/shop/boards.html
    They have very good starter packs, got one off them a few months back. Very helpful and explained everything in detail. Best price I could find too..

I like the circle ones, though I'm prob biased since thats the board I bought... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

We should have a sticky for people asking about beginner boards; it comes up a lot.

I'd go with a BIC; Natural Surf or Magnum depending on what you are more comfortable with. You're talking 7'9 and about 8'4 respectively. Most decent surf shops will have a board package with these for about 280-ish. Second hand boards are fine, just watch for nicks and dings. Was looking at a board one time that had been surfed twice apparently - looked as if the twice was down and back from the beach. Don't worry about a 2nd hand board looking black, that's the wax. But do watch for the aforementioned. Tell us what part of the country you're in and we'll give ya a few locations...but I would defo recommend the BIC to a beginner. Great stability and not bad movers either; particularly the Natural Surf...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

We should have a sticky for people asking about beginner boards; it comes up a lot.

Yeah i went to put one together recently but got bored half way through :D I might try again later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

c - 13 wrote: »
    Yeah i went to put one together recently but got bored half way through :D I might try again later

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

You may have already got a board, but for what its worth, I got two boards from these guys at a good price a couple of summers ago & delivery was reasonable too.

http://www.bundoransurfco.com/SurfShop/BoardsBeginner.asp

My g/f got a 7'2 NSP Betty, I went for the 7'7 Surf Series(by NSP), perfect for me @ 5'6, but for your height I'd say you should be looking @ 7'10 or something.

Give them a ring, explain what you're looking for and get a price.
    I did that with a few shops, up & down the coast, they were best at the time.

All I have to do now, is get out a bit more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I have tried surfin a few times now and I wanna get my own board, not one of those yellow foam ones!

How many times have you been out and what is your level of ability? Can you catch and ride about 70-80% of the waves you attempt? If not, I wouldnt consider buying a board until you can master that on the 8ft+ foam boards in schools.

Alternatively, if you can master the majority that you go for, go for something like a 6'11 big fish or mini mal. I went from a school board to a powersource 7'3 big fish in may and I am 5'11 at 11 and a bit stone. I bought my GF a 6'8 wide fish for Christmas and took to it no problem.

Choice of board really comes down to ability level. I read somewhere that over 75% of newb's are riding the wrong size of board for their ability. If you are only confident in 3-4ft whitewater waves, go for 7'3 and over. If you are reasonably confident in 5-6ft and above green waves, you can drop to 6'6/6'8.

Hope it helped.

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I'd go with a BIC; Natural Surf or Magnum depending on what you are more comfortable with. ..

.but I would defo recommend the BIC to a beginner. Great stability and not bad movers either; particularly the Natural Surf...

sound advice, they are much more durable than nsp and have better resale values too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 abcjonesy

i got a brand new BIC 7,9 from King Of Watersports in the UK about 3-4 months ago.... €280 delivered c/w bag,leash,wax. (exchange rate was 0.75 approx it's up and down around 0.9-0.95ish at the mo) it says on the site that postage is charged on kayaks and s/boards but i was never charged so ring them up if you are going to order and you might be get away with the shipping charges......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭imaleper

But it also matters how you would wish to progress in surfing, and if you've had any decent balance and swimming experience... For example I'm 13 stone, but surfing a 6'3 at the moment! Started with a 6'9 also!

I have many friends who chose boards that they outsurfed quite quickly, Bic boards have serious limitations. It also depends on how committed you'll be learning... And what kind of surfer you aspire to be? One who tears it up? Or chills hangin' ten? (My opinion of the differential between long and shortboarding!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

I have a 7'6" up on adverts it's a Sunride epoxy, only used it once cause just don't have the time and going traveling soon! If your interested let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pendragon_y2k

various second hands availale on http://www.irishsurfer.com/classifieds/

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ben bennett

hi you got to stay big, going from a school foamie to hard board you need something that is forgiving and lets you catch lots of waves. you need to filter out the advice you are getting here droping to a 6'11' fish is not the way to go. People sometime forget what its like to be a beginner/improver or have inflated ideas of surfin ( no offence) but going from 3/4ft white water to 5-6ft green waves just is impractical and unrealistic. If you go large you learn more quickly and enjoy yourself getting lots of waves. I teach loads of people to surf and the biggest mistake i see is guys out on boards way too small for them, learn bad technique and not even getting half decent waves. If your living where you can surf loads yes you might grow out of it quick and lucky for you but you would want to be surf 2/3 times a week all the time. you still need to start on something that will give you a chance.

PM me if you want so more advice

cheers ben

Advertisement