Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did we really do this much damage?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Was just reading very quickly online about the whole pork crisis thing and seen here that a carlow pig food recycling plant is the root cause for the whole thing. :O

So far there has been massive layoff's in the pig industry in Ireland:
    Rosderra Meats, 850 laid off,
    McCarren Meats, Cavan, 140 laid off,
    Feldhues Ltd, Clones, Co Monaghan, 50 laid off,
    Callan Bacon, Co Kilkenny, 79 laid off,
    Queally Pigs, Waterford, 30 workers given holiday today with no return date.

According to SIPTU, there is 6000 jobs at risk. My god talk about a knock on affect.

The company at the centre of the pigfeed contamination, Millstream Power Recycling Limited which is located just outside Fenagh, Co Carlow, has denied that an industrial oil had been used in the animal feed.Apparently this oil used to heat the pig feed produces toxins which, if we are exposed to at very high levels can become cancer causing agent.

The European Commission said today that 12 EU countries and 9 non-EU countries have been affected by the contamination scare.EU countries affected are Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Estonia, the UK, France, Portugal and Cyprus.The other countries that have been impacted are Japan, Russian, Singapore, the US, Canada, Switzerland, China, Hong Kong and Korea.

Now i'm just paraphrasing the report on the rte website but my god, we sure know how to make a global impact in carlow don't we. Wouldn't be our first involvement in global epidemic problems, we only have to cast our minds back a few years to the foot and mouth crisis. My god, i don't know is carlow just jinxed.

Anyone locally affected by this?Such a distrous turn of events.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement