Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msc Computational Science/HPC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 npc_100

Hi Mikel,
    Did the Trinity course back in 2001/2002. Found it quite interesting and not overly difficult. when I did the course, you had to do 3 subjects, and computer labs & a project. The 3 lectures i did were 4 to 6, tue to thursday, as a result was able to work full time and do the course full time!. Would think the setup is a bit more structured now, so may not be able to study it this way any more.

npc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Thanks, what language is used for the coding?
    Is the dissertation they mention a substantial project or just an large homework project.
    How did you find it of benefit to you on graduating?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 npc_100

Hi Mikel,
    The coding was c on linux with MPI libraries for the parallel programming. the coding assignments started at a basic laevel and worked up to being reasonably difficult. I would would put the assignment at a large homework project to be honest, the thesis was about 50 pages, content very much left up to yourself. My own thesis was simulation of financial derivatives.
    the financial maths course and thesis turned out to be extremely helpful to me a few years ago career wise. And overall I enjoyed the course and would have liked to try some of the other courses available on the programme.
    Remeber though, I did the course 5/6 years ago, a lot might have changed in the meantime, mind you, I know another person you started the course a year ago and picked the subjects that have lectures at 4 o'clock and so he can hold down a full time job as well.

npc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Well, I'm doing it right now and it's pretty much as npc described it.It's about 12 hours minimum I think.
    Except i think there might be some compulsory courses on Monday now, as in I think they're compulsory.

Also, you have options of about two 10 credit modules from final year maths or t.p., you seem to be basically able to do as many as you want and drop a few as you see fit, so long as you cover the minimum credits and they don't clash.

The programming seems fine so far but the diffculty is increasing with every assignment. However, I've never typed a letter of code in my life before this bar a bit of matlab and I think there might be one or two others in the same boat.So it's grand really.

I do like it though, it's great to have some practical things to do and some continous assesment.

THe only thing I'm worried about is a 5 credit module which is two essays on two seminar subjects, since I haven't written anything longer than this post since my leaving cert. and that's no exaggeration and I definitely haven't grasped enough information on any of them to write more than four sentences, I guess thats what wikipedia is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Currently doing the trinity masters as well. Overall I'm happy with it, though I do wish it was a little more structured; the mathematical methods module is all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 darshanmeel

Hi

Can you provide me the course for the Highr performance computing modules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 darshanmeel

Can anyone provide more details about this?

Advertisement