Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into primary teaching.....

Options
  • 08-12-2008 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,
    This is my first post here, the site came highly recommended from a friend so hopefully someone can help!:D

Im in my last year of college doing a B.A. in french and maths. I want to go on and do primary teaching when i graduate next year. I was looking into going to one of the dublin centres for a post-grad but am hearing more about it being under threat and dont know if there will be one starting in 2010 so i may have to wait until i can apply for one starting in 2011. However this gives me some time to work etc but it is a long wait.

Does anyone have any idea of the likelyhood of the course going ahead in 2010 or what do people think of applying to go to Eng/Scot and come back and do the irish part then? I know i wont be applying until next year.....jut wanted to sort out some options:o

If anyone can offer any advise on going to Eng/Scot or even the Dub centres to do it it would be great.

I should prob mention that i have a B1 in Hons Irish from Leaving so thats not an issue but will prob do some short course in irish as have not used it for three years!! also i have no real experience of teaching etc so should i use my time off (next sept-whenever!) to try and get some??

any words of wisdom on any of this would be much appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

stroodle wrote: »
    Hi all,
    This is my first post here, the site came highly recommended from a friend so hopefully someone can help!:D

Im in my last year of college doing a B.A. in french and maths. I want to go on and do primary teaching when i graduate next year. I was looking into going to one of the dublin centres for a post-grad but am hearing more about it being under threat and dont know if there will be one starting in 2010 so i may have to wait until i can apply for one starting in 2011. However this gives me some time to work etc but it is a long wait.

Does anyone have any idea of the likelyhood of the course going ahead in 2010 or what do people think of applying to go to Eng/Scot and come back and do the irish part then? I know i wont be applying until next year.....jut wanted to sort out some options:o

If anyone can offer any advise on going to Eng/Scot or even the Dub centres to do it it would be great.

I should prob mention that i have a B1 in Hons Irish from Leaving so thats not an issue but will prob do some short course in irish as have not used it for three years!! also i have no real experience of teaching etc so should i use my time off (next sept-whenever!) to try and get some??

any words of wisdom on any of this would be much appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance.

Don't worry too much about the postgrad courses going ahead or not. They most likely will because, despite what people think, there is still a shortage of qualified primary teachers. As the population increases, so will the demand for more qualified teachers, so don't listen to any of the rumours!

And this is all despite the increased teacher/pupil ratio. Some schools will lose positions, but that doesn't mean that jobs won't be created in new schools!! There'll just be a little bit more competition for jobs.

Advertisement