Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ROS Vista/java issue?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

Last week I had two machines that run Vista and java 1.6.0 running fine and logining on to ROS fine.

Come this morning (Monday 8th December) after some security updates at the ROS end any attempt to logon just dumps you back to the logon screen.

Suprise suprise an XP user using a 1.5 x java version has no problems.

I seem to remember a simlar issue when JRE 6 was first relased.

Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

ROS help not much help so far, but they seemed to be very busy this morning. Tried unistalling JRE6 and going back to an older version but still same problem. Java Console showed what seemed to be cert errors (don't have a copy handy).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Right click on any Internet Explorer shortcut and select 'Run as Administrator'. Click continue. When IE opens go to the ROS site and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Right click on any Internet Explorer shortcut and select 'Run as Administrator'. Click continue. When IE opens go to the ROS site and see what happens.

First thing I tried and it made no difference whatsoever. Even uninstalled the most current java and installed a 1.5 version as adminsitrator but again no luck (I know that would make little difference but sometimes you have to exhaust all possiblities). I was sort of hoping that I wasn't the only person facing this issue so ROS would be a bit quicker to find a fix.

btw also tried with IE Protected mode switched off and Windows Firewall swtiched off - still logon with correct password just dumps you back tp the login screen (with no error msg).

From the java console the error seems to be..............

13:56:30 [ERROR] Connection Exception occured when connect to server
    java.io.IOException: Integrity check failed: java.lang.SecurityException: Failed PKCS12 integrity checking

..............followed by a whole load more Certificate errors, Prior to that point everything seems to be running OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I saw something approximating this java error on an XP machine.
    The solution was to reinstall the Crypto plugin from the ROS site.

ressem wrote: »
    I saw something approximating this java error on an XP machine.
    The solution was to reinstall the Crypto plugin from the ROS site.

I've had a problem with the Crypto plugin not working before but it wasn't quite the same. I have checked the Crypto plugin but still good advice as I havn't actually tried reinstalling it.

As I said I have two Vista machines with exactly the same set up and the same problem. One I'm not touching so I'll know if something is changed at the server end if it starts loging on again and the other machine is now a Crash Test Dummy which I'll try reinstalling the Crypto plugin on this afternoon.

Edit> Haven't tried reinstalling the KCrypto plugin as I believe its installed with the ROS off line software and thats working fine. Also I seem to remember you get a very specific error if KCrypto is the problem as that has happened to me before on other systems but not this time.

• Advertisement

Just had a call and it sounds like there is now a fix for this problem. Will update tomorrow afternoon after I've tried it. Seems the cert on a Vista system won't work as is and needs converting to work with whatever changes have been made at the server end.

Tried the fix an no joy. Essentially the problem shows up in the same way even though the obvious errors from the java console have now gone.

Was asked to go to a webpage and login to convert the security cert and this process went OK but after completeing it and rebooting (just in case)still didn't allow the user(s) to logon.

To be honest its difficult to be 100% sure what fixed this issue, the reason is due to poor coding and even poorer or non existing testing by whoever developed this app; part of the problem was just down to the difference in pressing enter after entering the password or clicking the enter button.

On an XP machine (IE7) with java 1.5.x installed you can go to the ROS logon page then put in your password (the cert you have on the system fills in the usename for you) and hit return and you're in.

Now I'm fairly sure thats how the login worked on a Vista PC up untill last week but now if you press enter with the right password nothing happens (progress bar moves 0>100% then 0 ) and if use a completly wrong password you get an error msg saying the password is wrong. Well my problem was I nealy always use return to login and the ROS app will currently only log you on correctly if you CLICK THE MOUSE on the login button.

So thats how we finally got to login but before that we still had to update the certs (needs a call to ROS support for the URL) and to switch off User Access control and Run Explorer as Administrator. Problem is I can't be 100% sure if swtiching off UA or Running Explorer as Administrator sparked anything off because most of the time when I tried I was hitting return to login :o.

I left UA off and found after getting a successful login (by clicking the logon button) that users didn't need to run Explorer in Administration mode. I'll try putting UA back on next time I get a chance to see if it makes a difference but for the moment its back working so I'll let the users get some work done first.

Advertisement