Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should an esb meter be set at?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I've just moved into a new house that has a coin meter for the ESB. Does anyone know how much it should be set for? Think its set at 2.5 kwh per €2 coin. But I seem to be paying a lot.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Check this out:

https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/your_account/pricing.jsp

1 kWH = 1 unit

From memory a unit should cost €0.18

Check the above site for exact price.
    I would imagine the landloard installed the coin meter. The price per unit can be adjusted by the person that has the key for the meter!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I doubt this is an Esb meter. I gather the landlord is paying the bills out of this money you are slotting in? So I would make sure its set right, otherwise the landlord would be making a little profit.

Depend what tarrif you are on, it should be €0.16 or €0.17 a unit. Thats excluding vat.

If it is indeed €2 per 2.5Kwh, thats expensive.
    2.5 units = €0.45
    standing charge = €0.25 (per day)
    + VAT 13.5% = €0.10
    TOTAL = €0.80

These are estimates, its hard to work it out exact but gives you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Knobbly

I mailed esb an got this back
    "Thank you for your email.
    1 kwh = 1 unit. Each unit on a standard ESB meter costs 18.13c (incl. VAT). It seems that your coin meter is set to take approximately 80c per unit. You'll have to speak to your Landlord about this; we don't deal with coin operated meters."

So you were spot on davton. I've printed this off an I'll bring it to my landlord quick smart.
    Cheers lads

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Knobbly wrote: »
    I mailed esb an got this back
    "Thank you for your email.
    1 kwh = 1 unit. Each unit on a standard ESB meter costs 18.13c (incl. VAT). It seems that your coin meter is set to take approximately 80c per unit. You'll have to speak to your Landlord about this; we don't deal with coin operated meters."

So you were spot on davton. I've printed this off an I'll bring it to my landlord quick smart.
    Cheers lads

Hope you get it sorted quick, also you would be entitled to some for your money back from the landlord! Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

naturally the landlord makes money off it.
    If anyone has a coin operated anything, they make money off it!!

doubt you are entitled to anything at all back from him, chances are you signed a contract agreeing to the €2 meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

had to research something else for this recently, €1 should give 7KWH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

From the Threshold site
    Details of when and how payments for services are to be made must be set out in full in your rent book e.g. direct debit, meter, bill etc. All payments made must be receipted in full in the rent book, or by written receipt. Electricity and gas coin meters are set at a standard rate. If you think that the setting is too high, check it with the ESB or the Gas Co. landlords should not charge more than the standard rate for electricity and gas. They are entitled to recover the standing charge but not by including it in the calibration of the meter.

Don't know what legislation this is based on, but I had heard it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Id say the OP is out of euro coins now, it was 2 weeks before xmas 2008 he was asking about the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Id say the OP is out of euro coins now, it was 2 weeks before xmas 2008 he was asking about the meter.

I never even checked the posting dates :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I never even checked the posting dates :o

I know, im as bad myself, i was actually writing a reply earlier and noticed it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement