Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubya, Dubya, Dubya

Options
  • 08-12-2008 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

Finally got myself on the web, though as yet something of a work in progress. Still to put up/tidy up a few shots, try and get the slideshow a bit better and tag the photos and other bits and pieces.

Was looking for something that loads quickly, was easily navigable and with the minimum of scrolling.

Any comments/suggestions much appreciated , bearing in mind it's not a commercial site and the package is limiting in ways.

Thanks

T.

http://www.eyeblinks.ie/boards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Nice, simple layout.
    I enjoyed looking through your shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Is eyeblinks supposed to have the gaps in between the letters??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Well yeah... but I'm open to all types of critique on anything that you don't think works. Thats the purpose of the post. I'm very thick skinned.:P:D

I have other banners ( thanks KJT !) but I've kinda got used to that one at the moment !!

It's meant to sort of mimic the effect of blinking !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I like the gaps in eye blinks :)

Well done on getting it off the ground. Nice shots on it and I'll look forward to checking back for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Covey wrote: »
    Well yeah... but I'm open to all types of critique on anything that you don't think works. Thats the purpose of the post. I'm very thick skinned.:P:D

I have other banners ( thanks KJT !) but I've kinda got used to that one at the moment !!

Love the site, but not sure on the gaps - your decision though :)

You probably are already aware of this, but not all the pics have links to bigger pics - particularly the ones in the Maharees (I went looking cos I think I recognise the house :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

If thats what you are after then thats cool!! Just make sure that when you do biz cards etc that they are all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Great photos in it Tommy.

@ Thoie,

Yeah the gaps is something I'll be looking at again.

All the photos in the galleries (snaps) have larger ones. The others in news,w.i.p. and links don't. They are only there to support an item or in the case of WIP just a rough indication of what I'm working on.

PM me if you know the house, I'll let you know if you're right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

After looking through the site I'm ditching the Clikpic settings for mine and moving over to Photium. It just seems you get more for your money by using the software and it's a lot more flexible.

kensutz wrote: »
    After looking through the site I'm ditching the Clikpic settings for mine and moving over to Photium. It just seems you get more for your money by using the software and it's a lot more flexible.

E'mmmm.

Don't be fooled by the simplicity, it took me a good while to get right/this far. Not everything on Photium works as you'd want it and I'm still not 100% happy, especially with the thumbnails.

Having said that the support is second to none and they did some one off changes for me also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There seem to be some link/DNS issues. I clicked on one section, and now seem to be on covey.photium.com rather than www.eyeblinks.ie. Maybe it's coding though.

Love the layout of the site, and stunning photos.

Oops tell me where please Paul?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

A nice simply site that allows the content to do that talking.

Nice work Covey, i'll be a regular visitor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Oops tell me where please Paul?

I went to the "Work in Progress" section. After that it was the photium URL.

Paulw wrote: »
    I went to the "Work in Progress" section. After that it was the photium URL.

Thanks Paul, Fixed. :D

Amazingly simple this Photium thingie :pac::) seeing as I'm an absolute noob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I like it. Infact, I was very impressed with it - I'd love to have a gallery-frontpage like yours! Suave, smooth and eye-pleasing.

Other than the gappy 'eyeblinks', - which is a bit Matrix like for my liking :D, the only thing that I'd suggest is that you make the gallery on the frontpage 'clickable', so that it redirects you to your photos; if it's possible of course.

One more thing, on the quote from Worstward Ho on your About Page, you never closed the quotation marks. A small thing, but thought I'd point it out anyway.

Nice work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Very nice Tommie. I like the gaps in the name and I think it will look really well on business/moo cards. One thing I would do is justify right the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I like it Covey - very nice altogether. Only critique i'd add (I don't think it's grabbed any attention thus far) is that i think the banner is a little tall. Might just be a preference thing but viewing @ 800 tall I have to scroll for adequate viewing. Perhaps you could reduce the banner height a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Hi Tommie

'Twas the curiosity of the Dubya, Dubya that caught my eye initially, thinking that George W found our little island of the coast of Washington (We all know his geography sucks :p )

Lovley site, clean and simple. I've liked browsing your images, and there are some wonderful ones at that and even better captions - who's your littary agent ?

The image that caught me most is Reading Shoe, followed in a close second by Mangiare e Fumare. Very well captured and beautifully presented.

Thanks all.

Yeah, banner may be too tall all right.

Search on the right, em, so far not possible ??

Literary agent. moi, mucho danke :D:)

Thanks

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Crap - I forgot to look at that stuff for you :o Sorry!

I'll have a decent look later.. I hope...

No Probs Sinead.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Just came across this now Tommie. Jazus I think it's fabulous. Everything I like in a site. It has the added bonus of some class photography too :).

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Photographs are good but God damn that "These images are Copyright EyeBlinks.ie" javascript alert is obnoxious and trivially circumvented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Hi, love the site, its so simple, user friendly and pleasing on the eye. I do agree that the banner may be a tad too tall but all in all a lovely site with some class images. Well done.

charybdis wrote: »
    Photographs are good but God damn that "These images are Copyright EyeBlinks.ie" javascript alert is obnoxious and trivially circumvented.

Nevermind, that stays and what exactly is obnoxious about it?
    So does the copyright notice at the bottom, which actually means something :rolleyes:

The banner will be reduced this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Nevermind, that stays and what exactly is obnoxious about it?
    So does the copyright notice at the bottom, which actually means something :rolleyes:

The banner will be reduced this evening.

I don't mind the copyright notice, I never mentioned it and I would expect any site like yours to carry a similar one.

I dislike your use of an onclick javascript alert on the main image of the homepage firstly: because it is such an old "trick" and clearly an endeavour to aggressively enforce copyright but is so trivially circumvented by all but the most incompetent it is effectively useless, secondly: it's awful for user experience, show interest -> click image -> slap on wrist.

While I obviously support copyright and photographers' rights in general, I am regularly disappointed by how many photographers I've seen taking copyright paranoia to extremes either by employing trivially circumvented "tricks" such as you have, excessive watermarking (c.f.: http://twitter.com/hotdogsladies/status/1020343994 ), or posting jpegs at resolutions that make Facebook's gallery system look generous.

I'm not suggesting you are even approaching the worst examples of this mentality but it ires me when I decide to accept the invitation to enjoy someone's work only to subsequently be patronisingly told that I'm a filthy, filthy thief and to keep my jpeg-grubbing hands to myself, effectively.

If people of this mentality are so afraid of infringement of copyright and have so little faith in intellectual property law then perhaps the internet isn't the place for their work.

I'm not saying that you should not be entitled to expect that your work isn't stolen, I'm just expressing surprise at how many photographers are readily prepared to degrade the experience of viewing their work, lest someone actually be interested enough in it to steal it.

(again: I like your photography)

Well we agree to disagree Carybdis.

You can surely enjoy any photographers work without the need to download images, no matter how easy that may be.

Anyway enough said on that.

Is the watermark excessive, or intrusive ? I have no problem removing that. any views?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

charybdis wrote: »
    I dislike your use of an onclick javascript alert on the main image of the homepage firstly: because it is such an old "trick" and clearly an endeavour to aggressively enforce copyright but is so trivially circumvented by all but the most incompetent it is effectively useless, secondly: it's awful for user experience, show interest -> click image -> slap on wrist.

To be honest - When I reviewed the site and clicked lots of things on the navigation but not once did I click on an image. I didn't even know the popup was there. Not sure if that will be the general experience or not. Only as I read the ensuing posts was I curious so i went back and went and clicked to see what was so annoying about it. So, It probably depends on who the intended audience is.

I don't think the issue is whether something can or cannot be copied from the web page with or without permission. Most of us will be aware that with very simple techniques almost anything (eh... everything i think) can be copied from the web so its more a matter of whether you want to remind people that you are the owner of the works.

I do think if you were including the popup then i'd just apply it to right mouse button activity i.e. the one that would normally allow people the option of 'save image' or 'print image'. The poor aul left button is an innocent by stander in this and is what people would normally associate with click to see a larger version or more info. i.e. they may innocently click the image to see if there is anything else offered without any ill intent.

Also, and just a suggestion, would be to refine the pop up message (applied to the right mouse button) to maybe something like "Thank you for your interest in this image. Please contact <<email address>> for more information should you wish to use this image elsewhere." - or something a bit more friendly.

I don't think its overly bad per se or that too many would be offended as the vast majority won't have purpose to right click your image if they are well intentioned and bad guys will be bad guys anyhow and will probably be well capable of taking what they want anyway.

Tis just a thought anyhow.

EDIT: Sorry just reread your last post i.e.
    Anyway enough said on that.
    Hope the above is of use / interest.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the ever constuctive comments ACD :cool:

I wasn't actually aware the message was also there for a left mouse click. That wasn't the intention must look into that :eek:

The comments on the message itself are valid and I'll look into amending those.

Thanks again.

Advertisement