Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Trainer Specific Tyre: Are they necessary?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just ordered my first turbo trainer, a Tacx Satori. I was wondering if the turbo trainer specific tyres are actually necessary, like the Tacx or Continental ones? I currently have a Vittoria Rubino Pro (Red) http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1071 on the bike.

Do the tyres really wear quickly on these things? I know this tyre isn't that expensive but I don't fancy replacing it too often either. Like really, what are the benefits of a turbo trainer specific tyre, are they necessary, or just a money scam. I know they are more durable but I heard they could be a bit quieter too!

P.S. Is it worth the hassle swapping tyres, or should I stick with my current tyre? The other option is to get a cheap wheel!

Continental €16 on PBK (€24 on CRC) http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y2007
    Tacx €28 on CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31153

Sorry for all the questions! Any help would be great, thanks! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm at the same stage as you, hoping to get a turbo for christmas but the more I read on various fora, the more people complain about increased tyre wear.

It seems the way to go is a turbo-specific tyre or else using an old tyre. I have an old one from my SCR that is probably not road worthy so it might do nicely.

The bigger issue seems to be the hassle of swapping tyres every time you want to go on the turbo, so a cheap (or old) rear wheel might be a worthwhile investment also.

As usual with cycling, there are many little costs that add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I wasn't sure about getting a turbo tyre when I got a trainer (a tacx flow) but they do/can chew through a standard tyre pretty quickly.

Put your bike on the trainer with the back wheel near a wall and you'll see how much rubber is scrubbed off by the braking of the roller. The trainer specific ones seem to be a tougher material, and possibly dont heat up due to friction as much(?). The difference in noise as far as I can tell is minimal

I'd save the road rubber and buy the conti's myself and swap them as I need to, but if you can stretch to a cheap wheel & casette how bad - you won't be seeing a lot of your tyre levers that way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

I destroyed my back tyre on a trainer because it wasn't sitting on the roller properly (my fault).
    Got this one -Continental €16 on PBK (€24 on CRC) http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y2007
    And found it great. Much less noise, and it doesn't heat up nearly as much. It's a bit slippy when you first take it out or the packet, so make sure you wipe the clinchers (on tyre) really well.

Also, I was advised NEVER to brake on the turbo trainer as it can damage your brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

id agree. dont brake much on the trainer there s no need, the wheel will spin even if you stop pedalling......

also get a trainer tyre and pop it on an old wheel with an old block.

road tyres wear quickly on the trainer but more importantly the trainer wheel will leave a residue on your road tyre which makes them less able to keep the rubber side down, as they say !!!

especially when its wet out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

If you're turbo has gel around the roller it will not "eat" the tyre. Will be quiet too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement