Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish Radio?

Options
  • 07-12-2008 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭

The missus was just searching the stations for something to listen too while lying down and came across a polish song being played on FM103.2 (dublin). Now she couldn't tell whether it's a full on polish station or just an hour but I thought it was brilliant.

We've had adverts in foreign languages, then newspaper segments, on the city channel(dublin) we have an hour long polish news programme and now a radio station/segment. While there are drawbacks to immigration I'm happy to have it. I remember the days of the 80's and early 90's when there was virtually no-one here but ourselves.

Anywhoo I was surprised and delighted to hear it on the radio and I wonder where things will go next.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...I wonder where things will go next.

...down the pan if RTE (way over-paid) executives get their hands on it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I wonder where things will go next.

Back to Poland, most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Back to Poland, most likely.

I don't just mean in regards to polish immigrants.

I don't just mean in regards to polish immigrants.

I know you don't, but if their key demographic buggers off in pursuit of the next paycheck (once it has a Lidl/Aldi for cut price groceries, and a Western Union to send home the zlotys) then there will be little point in maintaining such a venture.

I note the Polski skleps aren't doing very well these days, although many Poles remain here (if the amount of unseized vehicles around is anything to go by), so this crowd may have left it a little late.

For now, the hospitality trades (where many of them work) seem to be okay in patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm fairly sure one of the RTEs do a polish hour. There's definitely shows dedicated to the non native population ion RTE but I think there mostly in English because it's a show for all the different nationality's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I know you don't, but if their key demographic buggers off in pursuit of the next paycheck (once it has a Lidl/Aldi for cut price groceries, and a Western Union to send home the zlotys) then there will be little point in maintaining such a venture.

I note the Polski skleps aren't doing very well these days, although many Poles remain here (if the amount of unseized vehicles around is anything to go by), so this crowd may have left it a little late.

For now, the hospitality trades (where many of them work) seem to be okay in patches.

I think I lost count of the amount of stereotypical references you made there :rolleyes:

Sure there's more Polish speakers in Ireland than Irish speakers. If people support having Irish radio stations for the Irish speakers than I don't see why anyone could even consider complaining about Polish ones

Mark200 wrote: »
    I think I lost count of the amount of stereotypical references you made there :rolleyes:

Sure there's more Polish speakers in Ireland than Irish speakers. If people support having Irish radio stations for the Irish speakers than I don't see why anyone could even consider complaining about Polish ones

Oooh good point sir.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They've been doing foreign language programmes on that station (used to be Anna Livia FM) for quite a while. A girl from Belarus who worked for me used to read the news in Russian every Saturday morning as part of an hour long show.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

NEAR fm do a lot of foriegn language programmes. French one in a.m is excellent as is the hindi music and spanish ones during the week and weekends. Brilliant music well presented on a much overlooked station.

Radio na life, up at 106.4 also play a lot of international based music shows.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dublin City FM

5.00pm Polish 120h All that’s good from the Polish music scene.

They have all sorts of crazy stuff on that station, however, Live Drive is very much FTW

• Advertisement

Cry me a river, Mr. Rolleyes. Nothing in my post that isn't factual, or is inflammatory. Unlike some of the swan eating rumour mongers, I actually have zero problem with our Polish friends. At least they contribute something. Not as much as they send home, mind you (can hardly blame them for that), but a hell of a lot more then some other sizeable minorities.

Our system is at fault for not nailing down their motoring exploits, not them.

Who's complaining? That said, if they are so anxious to have their own station etc., what's stopping them from setting one up? Why in the name of Ctuhlu should we have to do so at our own expense?

Irish has a historical and cultural basis here as a language. Polish does not.

People falling over themselves in order to proclaim their open mindedness and cosmopolitan airs and graces will be the undoing of us all. The Brits are already swinging back the other way, from once being one of the most xenophobic and openly racist countries on Earth, to one of the most overly tolerant, to the point where they stifled their own national identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

Have you heard that some group of polish activists were initiating the change of irish contitution, to make polish language as a third official language in Ireland? The motivation was that they are second minority group here

http://www.polskieradio.pl/zagranica/gb/dokument.aspx?iid=64417 is what you refer to.

edit: Sorry, that's 404. Politics.ie (I know) discussion anseo.

Thanks for the link, it was interesting to read that. As I know, before Poland joined EU, there were 41 million of poles, after that 39 left, so 2 mln emigrated. And thats the official statistic, I bet few millions emigrated illegaly... So thats why we can hear them

PeterLT wrote: »
    Have you heard that some group of polish activists were initiating the change of irish contitution, to make polish language as a third official language in Ireland? The motivation was that they are second minority group here

There was no group just one guy from a magazine and even the poles themselves said it was a crazy idea.

There was no group just one guy from a magazine and even the poles themselves said it was a crazy idea.

That time maybe it was just one guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again. Newertheless it's always nice to hear some other music or ads than english

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

<SNIP>

Take a day off Strongr.
    When you come back we don't want any more of that.

A truely disgusting post which has been reported.

Advertisement