Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to gain experience for lecturing position?

Options
  • 07-12-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all,

I have just read the post 'How to become a lecturer (information only - NO DISCUSSION ON THIS THREAD)' which is great and provides some good information on how to become a lectuer.
    This post also suggested it wise to gain experience before applying for a lecturing position.

What is the best way to go about looking for experience??
    Contact head's of departments or lecturers directly? Wait for part-time positions to be posted? Suggest unpaid work experience??

My background:
    I have a first class honours degree in Business & Marketing + a first class honours post-grad diploma in Computing.
    I also have 6-7 years B2B Marketing work experience

Any help/advice would be grateful.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Things have changed considerably since that thread was started.

From my perspective, this is the first academic year in a while I haven't had any part-time hours. People are cutting back and not going to college. And quite frankly, forget about any delusions of getting a full-time, permanent position. :)

Before I begin, I should point out that my experience is only in the Institute of Technology sector, not the university sector.

Anyway, most colleges keep a pool or panel of part-time staff, so I would suggest you send a CV to the HR department of the relevant college. Contacting heads of department directly is a big no-no. Unless you know them personally, that is.

ITB, for example, where I used to lecture, has a piece on it's website about maintaining a pool of part-time staff. Details here.

There is the old chicken and egg situation, where it's hard to get in if you don't have experience, but I wouldn't let that stop you.

I suggest you also look at private colleges and maybe even your local VEC for part-time evening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Anyway, most colleges keep a pool or panel of part-time staff, so I would suggest you send a CV to the HR department of the relevant college. Contacting heads of department directly is a big no-no. Unless you know them personally, that is.

Strange... as this is what I have done and I did manage to get extra part time work in this way. I also got favourable responses from other universities although they haven't resulted in actual work as yet. I would be afraid that the HR wouldn't bother passing my CV on unless it was in response to an advertised vacancy so I would send it directly to HoDs.

Strange... as this is what I have done and I did manage to get extra part time work in this way. I also got favourable responses from other universities although they haven't resulted in actual work as yet. I would be afraid that the HR wouldn't bother passing my CV on unless it was in response to an advertised vacancy so I would send it directly to HoDs.

Probably different for the IT sector.

Probably different for the IT sector.
    yep maybe that's in. I'm in humanities...

yep maybe that's in. I'm in humanities...

Sorry, I meant the Institute of Technology sector, not the Information Technology sector. :D

• Advertisement

Sorry, I meant the Institute of Technology sector, not the Information Technology sector. :D

Oops ;) I thought you were in computers or some sort of related technical field anyway... I'm in the traditional university sector anyway so it probably is different practice for different kinds of institutions.

Oops ;) I thought you were in computers or some sort of related technical field anyway...

I am yes, all manner of computers and Information Technology subjects.
    I'm in the traditional university sector anyway so it probably is different practice for different kinds of institutions.

That's what I reckon. It's only my personal experience from speaking to department heads - CVs have to go through HR before they can have a look at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dml

Definitely get yourself 'out there'. With education cut-backs, I think that most budgets for P/Timers will effectively be scrapped. It might sound like a good (financial) idea on paper, but the reality is that the implications of such cuts are not thought through and I am sure that some places will not be able to meet the demand based on permanent/full-time staff alone, realise this and then suddenly start looking for someone to fill hours asap. So, if they have your details you might get a phonecall.....so you should be flexible enough to take something up at the last minute.
    Ironically enough, even though they want to cut part-time hours and freeze vacant posts, during times of economic downturn, people return to education...we are definitely seeing this at work at the moment, with a significant increase in enquiries for courses. Gone are the days when you could get a decent job with minimal qualifications, so lots of people are seeing that their chances of employment are likely to increase in line with their qualifications, so return to college. This may not apply equally to all subject areas, but we are seeing it in science and engineering at the moment. So, I am sure that there will be an increased demand for some courses that may generate a demand for part-timers. Who knows?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I'm not sure how useful this is, but I got my first few teaching jobs through my home university, support tutoring and a few lectures on one of my supervisors modules.

It was through a contact of his that I got into the Uni I am working in now, and I find that seems to be the experience of most newcomers. Our department regularly sends around emails of temporary posts advertised, so it might be worth reconnecting with your old department.

There is no shortage of part-time work at the moment, though most of it seems to be coming from Uni/FETAC (I havent seen any offers from the IT sector in a long time).

Try reconnecting!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Did you know the head of department, in which case it may have been easier, or did you just send it on to them regardless? And did you manage to get the part time work in your 'home university'? And is it lecturing or tutoring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Like the OP I am interested in getting into lecturing as well, specifically in the software/computer science area.

Is having a PhD (or working on one even) really neccessary for University or IT's ?

Background is Business Degree (2.1), Grad Dip Computing (1st), and will be starting a taught MSc this year. Have 1 years Tutoring experience at University (which also involved some lecturing) and 15 years experience in software engineering.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Like the OP I am interested in getting into lecturing as well, specifically in the software/computer science area.

Is having a PhD (or working on one even) really neccessary for University or IT's ?

Background is Business Degree (2.1), Grad Dip Computing (1st), and will be starting a taught MSc this year. Have 1 years Tutoring experience at University (which also involved some lecturing) and 15 years experience in software engineering.

IT's value the industry experience side, but things are becoming very competitive at University. Just going on the most recent round of interviews here, you would not have received a call for interview unless you had a PhD minimum (postdoc preferable). One got a call who had just submitted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Thanks for the info. I thought as much with regards to a PhD. I'll be doing a taught masters this year, more than likely on a 2 year part time basis. My actual current employment terminates next April, so I will let it be known next year to various lecturers that I will be available for some part time teaching assistant work. Hopefully go from there. The problem I have with trying to do a PhD is the 15k euro salaries which are very hard to live off, especially over 3 years.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I thought as much with regards to a PhD. I'll be doing a taught masters this year, more than likely on a 2 year part time basis. My actual current employment terminates next April, so I will let it be known next year to various lecturers that I will be available for some part time teaching assistant work. Hopefully go from there. The problem I have with trying to do a PhD is the 15k euro salaries which are very hard to live off, especially over 3 years.

Its not easy, but possible. The overall lifestyle adjustments make it easier to cope. Chances are you will pick up a few K extra through part time teaching, exam marking, supervision, and a million other jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I think full-time lecturers are chosen much more because of their research background and publications than because of their teaching experience or ability. That's what looks good on paper and that's what attracts funding for research projects. Teaching undergraduates is secondary.
    So a PhD is probably ncessary to get a fulltime position. I know one person who got a fulltime lecturing position in an IT directly after finishing his PhD, which was in a different field and done in a different college.

Advertisement