Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Stray Kittens

Options
  • 07-12-2008 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

Recently there have been two kittens at my house but they look sick, they may belong to a neighbour but I'm worried about them. I've attached a few pictures, does anyone know if they need to see a vet or if it'll clear up by itself. It's puss around their eyes but the pictures explain it better.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Have they been vaccinated do you know?

They need to see a vet. Could you speak to your neighbour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kittens2

They're quite friendly so I'm sure they are a neighbours but I don't know who. I had assumed the owners would take care of them but they look worse than last week, those pictures were taken just before my post. If they haven't seen a vet for this they are probably not vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

They definitely need to see a vet. It looks like they have a very bad case of conjunctivitis, perhaps even the cat flu (sometimes the flu can lead to eye infections). If it's just an eye infection, they will generally give antibotic eye drops that need to be used twice a day for 10 days. Have you noticed any coughing or lethargy (this could be an indication it's more than an eye infection)?

Also, is there hair loss on the kittens, with crusty patches (hard to tell from pics)? This could indicate ringworm, which is a zoonotic disease (transmissible to humans), and they would need a antifungal shampoo (such as Melseb) from the vets. Some may give tablets, but these can damage the liver in cats.

I don't think there's any hair loss, apart from their faces they look fine, and anything there just seems to be from their eyes, but I can't be sure. I've only seem them once or twice a week but they appear full of energy. Their cry sounds weak though but I haven't noticed any coughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Maybe you could put up signs saying that you found them with your number on it. That way, you will find out if they are owned by neighbours. If not, you are free to get the vaccinated, neutered etc.

Then if anybody does call for them, you could mention you are a bit worried about their eyes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

They need to see a vet, pronto - especially the third one if it's to keep both of it's eyes.

With treatment cat flu and conjunctivitis are perfectly curable and they'll be fine. Without treatment they'll loose one or both eyes and their future looks bleak.

I'll take them to the vet next time I see them, depending on treatment I may have to keep them in for a while as they're often gone for days. But any owners who let them get this bad probably won't miss them.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fair play for taking them on. Hope it all works out for you, and post pics and let us know how they get on at the vet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lucky111

Hi Ktten2, my cat [Lucky] who i found couple of years ago had the same problem, Eyes were just like that:( I bathed her eyes with cotton wool and warm water.Work from the tear duck outwards, seperate cotton wool though on each eye probably 3 times a day;)
    If that doesn't seem to help them after a couple of days i would sugest taking them to the vet
    Hope this is of help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

kittens2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Recently there have been two kittens at my house but they look sick, they may belong to a neighbour but I'm worried about them. I've attached a few pictures, does anyone know if they need to see a vet or if it'll clear up by itself. It's puss around their eyes but the pictures explain it better.

Thanks.

Get them to a vet as quickly as possibly - the 3rd one is in grave danger of losing both eyes. Poor things - how could anyone let them get this bad? Fair play to you for looking out for them!

• Advertisement

I brought them to the vet earlier, I was lucky they were around. They each had an injection and need two more over the next two days but they should be fine. I'll post more pictures when they're better.

Hooray!!

Did the vet say conclusively what was wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

They definitly have conjuntivites. Conjuntivites is very contagious which explains why all 3 kittens have caught it. Just like when kids get conjuntivites eye lids can become glued together from the gunk so if you see one of the kittens with its eyelids stuck together in the morning don’t panik, just bath the eye with luke warm water. Boild the water first and let a small amount cool in a bowl.
    Your vet must have given you some chloromycetin eye drops!

Vet said they have the flu, although perhaps also conjuntivites and the antibiotics will solve both. Here's a picture of them now, I'm keeping them inside as I can't be sure they'll be here for their next appointment otherwise. I went into the room to put them to bed but they were already sitting in the box waiting for me! They still look as bad should be getting better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Ah they look lovely! Fair play to you for looking after the little kittens. :)

Awwww bless them. Good on you for keeping them inside. As earlier posters have said, clean them up a little with some warm water - I like cotton buds for this kind of thing, you can aim better - never use the same bud-end twice on one kitten, let alone on different kittens. They're going to be very happy when they shape up, and you'll feel smashing for having helped them out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

You could try washing their eyes with camomile tea - its v. soothing. I used it on one of mine when she had a bad cold as a kitten and one of her eyes got glued shut. She recovered v. quickly with that & the antibiotics.

You are so kind to take them in! Well done.:D:)

Just home with them from their final shot, they're look much better now and much more of a handful! I'll get another picture in a couple of days when they're fully better.

If anyone happens to be interested in a kitten (or two) in the Galway city area then these two are looking for a home that give them the attention they deserve, I'm afraid that I can't look after them on a full time basis, they just looked so pittiful I had to get them better. The vet is passing on my details to someone who was looking for one kitten, but if anyone is interested or wants more information about them then post here or PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Well done you! You have surely saved them from a terrible fate. I only wish there were more people like you. :)

I couldn't help but take another picture, you can see how much better they're looking! Sorry that it's a little blurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Oweee - those eyes look watery and sore!

Yes, the systemic antibiotic tablets will help, but they could also definitely do with some Fucithalmic or Chloromycetin ointment for their eyes to clear up the bacterial infection. It's not expensive - I'm surprised the vet did not suggest it!

Also, they could really do with an Advocate spot-on for earmites/fleas/worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭melbourne

Kindness is very hard to give away, it will keep coming back, give yourself a pat on the back for saving those beautiful little kittens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lucky111

melbourne wrote: »
    Kindness is very hard to give away, it will keep coming back, give yourself a pat on the back for saving those beautiful little kittens
    Well said:)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tinalouise

kittens2 wrote: »
    I couldn't help but take another picture, you can see how much better they're looking! Sorry that it's a little blurry.

Fair play to you for looking after these gorgeous kittens. Please keep us updated for as long as you have them, with pics aswell. It's such a nice change to read about someone being nice to animals ... well done you

I think I've found them a home together so I'm happy about that, I was worried I might have to split them up, although if it meant they got good homes then so be it. Here they are from this morning, I'll be sorry to see them go but I wouldn't be able to look after them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 catmad

What a huge improvement in both kitties. As other posters have said you did a great thing in bringing them to the vet. I hope they have a long and happy life and bring lots of joy to someone.

Advertisement